• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interior Dome Light won't turn off???

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My interior dome light just decided that it wouldn't turn off in my '99 Ranger. . .and the door ajar alert on the dash stays lit. I've repeatedly tried shutting the doors and making sure nothing is keeping them from shutting completely (like a seatbelt not retracting), but the light and alert still stay illuminated.

I looked for the pressure switch that is on most vehicles, but I can't seem to locate it.

Could someone clue me in where the pressure switch is so that I can replace it and hopefully get the light to go off. . .sucks to pull the bulbs and not have interior lights in the early morning/evenings.

Thanks!

Chris M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
This happened in my 96. most of the time all you need to do is spray silicone or WD-40 on the actual door part of the latch, the part that grabs the U shaped part on the door frame. For some reason the sensor gets stuck open and this seems to solve it. This worked for me hopefully you too.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Could someone clue me in where the pressure switch is so that I can replace it and hopefully get the light to go off. . .
Thanks!
That particular switch is inside the door right under the door latch mechanism. A pain to get to. A 1/4 turn will get it out from its' mount, unplug it and plug a new one in (about $10 last I did one).

The lubricant trick may work, but is not guaranteed to last.

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This happened in my 96. most of the time all you need to do is spray silicone or WD-40 on the actual door part of the latch, the part that grabs the U shaped part on the door frame. For some reason the sensor gets stuck open and this seems to solve it. This worked for me hopefully you too.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. . .

That particular switch is inside the door right under the door latch mechanism. A pain to get to. A 1/4 turn will get it out from its' mount, unplug it and plug a new one in (about $10 last I did one).

The lubricant trick may work, but is not guaranteed to last.
No wonder I couldn't find the switch!

very common problem. Ours started doing it a few years after we bought it, still haven't replaced the switch.

The Fix:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270
Thanks for the link!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals