• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 SOHC troubles

kroed11581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Jee
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0 304V8
Transmission
Automatic
My wife's 4.0 SOHC died today. Last week it stranded her too, but when I got there it started right up and I wasn't able to determine cause. A little background: last winter CEL throws up a code, misfiring on bank 1. Wouldn't start, but it was 30 below. It was getting gas to the fuel rail, seemed to be getting spark. Got warmer, I changed the intake manifold gasket, it starts and light goes out. 208,000 miles.

Last week wife shut car off, went to restart and it barely started and died, not to be restarted until I got there 3 hours later. Within the last 4 months, it's had new plugs, wires and air filter and fuel filter. Water temp sensors in thermostat housing are both new. Cleaned IAC and MAF sensor.

Today it died again away from home. Has pressure at the fuel rail, fires but doesn't start and stay running. I say fires because a few times it acted like it wanted to run, but couldn't. Plan on checking CEL ASAP, but trying to think of what could make it die randomly.

Likely not fuel pump, as the pressure valve has plenty of pressure at the rail. Possibly coil, camshaft or crankshaft position sensor? Injectors going bad, but does that happen intermittently? I'd think they'd just go bad and be done. The sensors on the intake manifold shouldn't keep it from running completely if they are bad, should they? I would think it would run, just really crappy at idle. If you have any ideas on where to look if the CEL doesn't give me any hints, I'm all ears!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
CEL first... Hope for hints. Way too many lectric parts that could heat up and cause problems, to be making guesses.
Big JIm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals