• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does anyone use fuel additives?

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
I am just asking whether anyone uses fuel additives and if so, what brands do you use? I have two bottles of Techron sitting in my closet and I was thinking maybe I could use it at my next oil change or fuel fill up.

Do you guys see any help in engine smoothness or anything?

Do you even feel I should use a fuel additive?

Blackedge03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel additives are not necessary. The only time I use anything is if I suspect water in the gas. I had an '89 Mazda truck that was bad to get condensation in the tank in the winter months. I'd put in a can of HEET moisture remover,clear it right up. I don't believe the techron would hurt anything. I just don't think using additives as regular maintenance is worth the money.

2001FORDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
6cy
Transmission
Manual
I personally use techron in all my cars. think of this. your gas tank fuel lines and other parts get clooed and have poor circulation from time to time. I use it in the ranger and both my mercedes/bmw eo week and it helps especially when you are in a location and forced to use bad gas.

hell its not a waist of money if you buy techron at costco. for $14 you get 8- bottles

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
NOS for teh horse powaz!!!

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Once in a while... not all the time... Techron.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I use Techron additive periodically. I'm not religious about it, but if I see it on sale for a good price I'll pick up a few bottles and stick them on the shelf.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I use lucas diesel treatment. going to use it around every 5th tank in the chevy. used it every 3rd tank in tractors.

shaffer20

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i just got my 06 ranger in december it had 43k when i got it. its got 62k now. 3 weeks ago i ran through a can of seafoam. put 1/3 of can in break booster line while engine is running. turn it off. put 1/3 can in oil and 1/3 in with the gas tank. wait 15min or so and start her up again. and give it a nice amount of gas. it blows out all the carbon and stuff that clogs up the engine. since i did that i switched to synthetic oil and ive noticed a 60km gain per tank.

HallzyBallzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I use the Lucas Gas Treatment. The big bottle is only 10$. And it lasts about 5 or 6 tanks. I was getting 220 per tank (I have heavyy 33's). And now I get 280-290 miles per tank. Driven the same. It really helped. My Dad uses it in his Duramax and get 2 miles per gallon. And all of his work trucks now use it, and consistently 2-3 mpg more. It actually works.

irishblessing

i tried that zmax stuff didnt see a difference and its expensive is techron itself the same as buying chevron with techron?

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I dump in a cleaner at oil changes. It may not do anything, but it's cheaper than finding out if it does. I know the bike runs better each spring after 2 tanks with a seafoam mix go through it, and that's with stabil in it all winter too.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I think additives in gasoline engines are about like that 10% ethanol, just a way to burn up spark plugs quicker.

I ran 2-stroke in my diesel, an oz. to a gallon to replace the lost fuel pump lubrication when they stripped it down to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

I think the best additive, aside from sta-bil when parked, or a water disperser if you have the afore mentioned condensation issue........ Is simply being choosey about where you purchase your fuel, and replacing the fuel filter regularly.

Frank

Ranger Leo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Used Z max in my ranger and seemed to run smoother for a while. Not a lot of gallons per tank increase.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals