• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ford ranger 1990 4.0

alonsito0114

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Its normal for my truck when i leave it running for 10 mins will heat up to much like 3/4 on the temp gauge
Is the normal can i do anyrhing to fix it?

oilbased

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My 93 4.0 was doing the same thing before I tore it down to replace a bad lifter. When I pulled the thermostat it was just nasty and caked with kurd. I replaced it with a 180 degree thermostat upon putting it back together after I flushed the coolant side of the motor and now my temp gauge doesn't even get to the halfway mark. I'm not saying this is your problem, just telling you about my experience.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, it isn't normal.

Thermostat is good to change but stick with stock 190-195degF model, it will make engine last longer, and get better MPG.
Ford temp gauge is about 210degF at 1/2, so in normal operation it should be just below 1/2, when pulling a load or driving up a longer hill it should go just above 1/2, 220-225degF
Running an engine cooler may sound like a good idea but if it was true it would be very very easy to run an engine at 100degF, problem is it isn't good.
Point of the thermostat is so engine will run at a higher temp, after many years of research by S.A.E.(the oil guys) and Ford, the 195-200degF coolant temp range was found to be the best for normal operation, cleans the oil better(evaporates contaminants) and gives cylinders best temp for MPG

Your Fan clutch or radiator could also be the problem.

After engine, and rad, is warmed up shut off the engine.
Spin the fan by hand, it should be tight, and not spin after you let go of blade, it will turn just not spin free.

Now remove the 2 bolts holding top of fan shroud, lift it and slide it back over fan.
Run you hand across radiator fins, top to bottom and side to side.
There should be no cool spots, should be nice even heat across and down, a cooler spot means no flow so clogged area.
Also check front of rad, clean out any mud, dirt, or debris.

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Only at Idle? Not going down the road? How about while in stop and go traffic? Thermostat does not cause over heating unless it is doing it all the time, i.e. not opening all the way. It would not cool back off when driving.

And it should not be doing it. I leave mine running with AC on to cool my dog in temps over 115. The needle never moves.

My guesses are: Fan clutch is bad (doesn't lockup when rad get hot). Or, radiator is partly clogged (some of the tubes are blocked, reducing flow). Or, radiator/fan shroud is missing (fan can't pull air through rad). Since it is only doing it when there is no or little ram air flow past the radiator (like when driving).

Ron, you beat me to it!!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals