• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Did Ford prewire for a potential tow option?

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was gonna throw a basic receiver on from Rock Auto. Not that I plan on towing anything.. It's that I could.. to the extent of a 2.3 that is. My question is did Ford prewire for the option? Is there a loom i can possibly find to wire up a harness or am i to just start butchering everything. Thanks.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
on my ranger it was no where near designed to tow, we almost yanked off the back bumper when towing it in neutral! (tied behind the rear bumper around the frame).

also, my ranger has literally nothing to tow with or itself (like with a tow truck) at all!

john112deere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2009
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 / 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I assume you're talking about wiring for the lights on the trailer, right? Four-way flat connector?

On my '97 Ranger, there is a connection in the tail-light wiring up under the rear bumper that you can unplug and plug in a "T" connector that'll run down to your trailer lights- no hacking of factory wiring needed. You might find the loom on the shelf at a parts store or even Wal-Mart (Hoppy makes 'em, look in the towing section), or you can certainly order them online.

If a '93 has amber turn signals like my '97 (I can't remember), it'll need a slightly fancier and pricier unit to convert the signals to just red bulbs like a trailer has, but it's no big deal.

*If you were looking at anything with trailer brakes, it'd be more complicated...but if it needs brakes, I wouldn't bother hitching it to a 4-cylinder Ranger.

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks.. I really didn't wanna start splicing a crap load of wires. I never towed a trailer using a pick up.. (however i'm no stranger to towing a 150k permit load for work sometimes) so i guess from looking at the local wally world shelf that the flat four is typical for a class 1 thru 3 receiver that i found for my rig. I did see the bumper pull plate at walmart too but i'm not convinced that the four bolts holding the bumper on is good enough.. for anything. I'm just looking to pull like a utility or flat trailer.. maybe even a pop up although i bet that's pushing it. I'm in the process of upgrading to an 8.8 4:10 set up so that may help too. These 3.55s gotta go regardless. Thanks for the input!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i'm not convinced that the four bolts holding the bumper on is good enough.. for anything.
I tow loads that are close to my truck's rated capacity on the bumper frequently. I plan to upgrade to a receiver when I have the time, but your bumper bolts will hold up to more than you'd think.

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tow loads that are close to my truck's rated capacity on the bumper frequently. I plan to upgrade to a receiver when I have the time, but your bumper bolts will hold up to more than you'd think.
No kidding? I was real leary of even trying to pull a bush out with it so i hooked directly to the frame. I'm not even sure what the tow capacity is for my rig although i know i could look it up. I just never looked into it since i didn't have a hitch to begin with. I have an aftermarket bumper that's rated at 800lb tongue but that doesn't mean anything. It's those bolts and ultimately the driveline i'm concerned about. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe i will get that bumper receiver after all.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I might swap out the frame to bumper bolts to grade 8, for the bumper pull.
Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals