• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

235x75R15 or 30x9.5x15 for 2001 2WD Supercab Ranger?

raven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Feel free to flame the newbie for this question, but I have read all the stickies and FAQs and I am still slightly confused as to what will work with the 15" stock rims (steel chrome 15x7.0J door code). I might have no forum search skill, so feel free to flame away if so.

Having successfully rebuilt my exploded 3.0 and deciding I will keep the truck another 200k miles, it is time to get rid of the tiny 215x70R15 tires I put on for cost savings and gas mileage purposes, because car tires simply don't hold up and the cost savings are zero or negative over time.

I don't want to have sidewall ripped up from rubbing on the sway bar or LCAs or other suspension components, and am unsure if this is possible on the stock 15x7 wheels. I read these are 4" backspacing, where 3.75" is recommended? Also, as I don't want to re-gear any time soon, so I am leaning towards 30s, BFGoodrich A/T TA KO or BFGoodrich M/T TA KM2. The exact same tires in 235x75R15 29" are 20-30% more expensive than the 30" and 31" size everywhere.

I would like to go with the 30" (30x9.5x15), but am confused if these will fit properly on my truck using the stock rim. With 30" tires being so much cheaper and more available than 29" if the tires rub on the body it would not be any concern - a 2"-3" body lift kit would be free due to the cost savings of purchasing the larger size. A small suspension lift with 2" coil spacers up front and 2" blocks above the leaf springs in back is an option later on, being incredibly inexpensive.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The 30-9.5-15 tires are only a little bit bigger than the 235-75-15 tires. Less than a half inch taller and wider, so there should be no problem running either size.

SierraCanine

Law Enforcement
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Both tires should fit on your rims. Either way go with what you like best since it doesn't matter what others opinions are just how it appeals to you.

raven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. If the current tires don't shred first, I will get the lift kit on and go with the 30s for now.

For 31s and larger I will want to regear, and cash is tight now, so I will start to check junkyards for Explorer rear-ends with the gears I want, and get rear disc brakes as a bonus.

raven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looking at this truck described as only a torsion crank, would I be able to assume a 3" PA body lift would allow the same 32x11.50R15 on 15x8 w/ 4" backspace rim to fit similarly on my 2001 2WD? Would I still need the 4x4 blocks on my leaf springs in the back or coil spacers to fit them with the lift?

The wider tires would be great here in Florida. I don't go "wheeling" but there some good fishing spots that are off trails that get flooded and muddy after rains so my truck then can't go, usually are hard-packed sand but some spots are full of sugar sand and I can get stuck. The sugar sand is the worst, so moving to a wider tire would be great!

I'd guess I'll have to leave half an hour early for work until I can regear. :/

Last edited:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Looking at this truck described as only a torsion crank, would I be able to assume a 3" PA body lift would allow the same 32x11.50R15 on 15x8 w/ 4" backspace rim to fit similarly on my 2001 2WD? Would I still need the 4x4 blocks on my leaf springs in the back or coil spacers to fit them with the lift?

You can get away with no lift and 32x11.50 tires on a 2wd. Use a wheel with 0 to -10mm offset and you wont rub the sway bar on full lock. Other then that if you are not lifting tires off the ground and flexing like its going out of style you wont rub on the fenders or anything.

Ive run 33x12.50 on my stock 1998 2wd and they cleared just fine. The stock suspension wont allow enough flex to bottom out the tires so its easy to get away with a tire that fills up the wheel well.

raven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cragar Soft 8's have a 4" backspace and -13mm offset, I hope that will fit well enough on my 2001. If so, they are getting ordered next week, looks and price is right.

I've decided I'm going to put the 3" body lift on this weekend anyway, and deal with getting made fun of until I get the rims and tires in. For the sand I plan on seeing, the wider tires are going to be better, and I can look into trying to fit 33x12.5 some time later or maybe even add a suspension lift and get 35x12.5's on.

I should then be able to get to all the best fishing spots (albeit sloooowly) with tagging along in a friends 4x4. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
The wider track will help a lot in sand. You may just want to get 33x12.50 if you are going to install the 3 inch lift and buy the soft 8 wheels. It would almost be pointless to go with 32x11.50 since you are setting the truck up to where it will be able to handle 33x12.50 without issue. Plus the price is the same for both sizes.

Also if sand is your enemy in sense dont get the KM2 tires or any mud terrain. Great tires but horrible in sand. The A/T KO (or most all terrain) are far superior in sand over the mud terrains. A/Ts will float, M/Ts will dig.

Also watch out for big tires and the 3.0L engine. Great engine but low end power is lacking big time and without proper gears you may find you dont like the slugish take offs (automatic) or riding the clutch to take off (Manual). Ive had both automatic and manual and the automatic with 3.73 gears and 31" tires would take off at a high rpm if the truck was loaded. The manual forget it put anything in the bed and I would have to ride the clutch to 2,000rpm for a smooth take off.

Last edited:

raven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the advice. The 3.slow is lacking in almost all aspects, so the bigger tires will encourage me to get 4.10 or higher gears or that 302 sooner rather than later I guess. It should still be drivable but slow with 3.73's and it is an automatic.

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Feel free to flame the newbie for this question, but I have read all the stickies and FAQs and I am still slightly confused as to what will work with the 15" stock rims (steel chrome 15x7.0J door code). I might have no forum search skill, so feel free to flame away if so.

I don't want to have sidewall ripped up from rubbing on the sway bar or LCAs or other suspension components, and am unsure if this is possible on the stock 15x7 wheels. I read these are 4" backspacing, where 3.75" is recommended? Also, as I don't want to re-gear any time soon, so I am leaning towards 30s, BFGoodrich A/T TA KO or BFGoodrich M/T TA KM2. The exact same tires in 235x75R15 29" are 20-30% more expensive than the 30" and 31" size everywhere.

I would like to go with the 30" (30x9.5x15), but am confused if these will fit properly on my truck using the stock rim. With 30" tires being so much cheaper and more available than 29" if the tires rub on the body it would not be any concern - a 2"-3" body lift kit would be free due to the cost savings of purchasing the larger size. A small suspension lift with 2" coil spacers up front and 2" blocks above the leaf springs in back is an option later on, being incredibly inexpensive.
My 99 Ranger 4.0 4x4 "Off Road" door sticker indicated 245x70x16" tires were stock. Previous owner had put 15" rims on it with tiny tires like yours.
I recently researched and went with a deal at Pep Boys on 30x9.5x15" Falken Wildpeak HT and couldn't be happier. One of my main goals was to make the speedometer and odometer reflect something close to what the original 16" rims would. Speedo is now off by 1-2 mph where before it was 7-8. I'm sure my odometer readings were similarly off.
My boss drives a 1996 3.0 Supercab with the 235x75x15" tires. They are what his truck is spec'd for and look like they're just a bit "shorter" than my 30" tires. Odds are that the driver's door has a sticker that will tell you exactly what size tire you should use with stock suspension, etc.

coopab

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals