• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

At the Drawing Board

christophermccombs

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
Hello everyone,
I have been researching diesel swaps for a very long time, and I know all the question are asked over and over. And I am probably no real exception. I would like to use the om617, due to simplicity, but the 4bt and VW TDI are great options as well.

So in 2018, I want a 83-88 for a daily driver, mainly for commuting, with the ability to tow maybe a pop up camper, and the cool factor of diesel.

Which diesel is the best for my needs? Just looking for opinions and recommendations for this setup.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Pound per hp/lbft, a tdi with a mild tune, mild set of nozzles, and one size up from factory turbo can't be beat by a om617 or a 4bt that isn't an all out race motor. I've put tdi's in just about everything and I've yet to find a more versatile motor. Take a look at my thread and greegeekers threads for inspiration and ideas.

My truck pulled this load no problem. Cruised at 65mph like it wasn't there.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Checked into a factory diesel?

For a popup I think they would be fine.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Om617 is cool but look into parts availability in your area Cummins parts are pretty easy to get since they are in alot of farm equipment and the tdi are also fairly popular.

I have a om617 I really like it it's a neat motor i just know that finding parts in short order is kinda tricky but you may be in a better area for that

My .02

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Ill eco whitebread. Hands down a Tdi swap is what you want. Price power everything. Im coming up on 20K miles on mine and it has done everything I have asked it to do while pulling down high 20s mpg. a 617 is way under powered and not fuel efficient. A 98-99 OM606 is the only MB diesel I would consider but that would close to double the cost.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Ill eco whitebread. Hands down a Tdi swap is what you want. Price power everything. Im coming up on 20K miles on mine and it has done everything I have asked it to do while pulling down high 20s mpg. a 617 is way under powered and not fuel efficient. A 98-99 OM606 is the only MB diesel I would consider but that would close to double the cost.
I have to agree.

a transit van diesel, or vw are the best units readily available...aside from the Nissan and Colorado setups.

the cab over nissans are around but the little ones for frontiers style can be shipped from the emirates...800-1000 bux but they will send it.

christophermccombs

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
Sorry for the late response, I have had a lot of stuff going on. I am researching this heavily, because I'm looking for a First Gen Ranger, and I want a diesel. I have no real plans for it other than a daily mix when I'm not on the bike. There may be a trip or two a year, but no hardcore trailing or mudding. Maybe some light towing. I have looked at the TDI, 4BT, and the OM617. I recently discovered the 606 which is supposed to be a monster, and is far more fuel efficient. I am looking for simplicity on the swap because this will be my first swap. The end goal is to have a diesel ranger for the long term. I passed on the Perkins because I figure parts would eventually disappear. I also realize the 617 won't be around forever, but hopefully I can have some stashed spare parts! Thank you guys for the input. I really do appreciate the advice, and again sorry for the delay.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals