• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't get seal around thermostat (photos included)

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's up with this? Two different thermostats (one from O'Reilly's, one a NAPA Premium). I have the thermostat housing out of engine, put in thermostat, run tap water through other end - water leaks around thermostat. That's not normal/correct, right?

Photos to show how much water/thermostats/inside of housing:
http://imgur.com/a/phcyF

So this 1995 Ford Ranger 2.3L has always had a somewhat cool running engine. The needle doesn't move much past the lower line, and hooking up an OBD2 adapter - just idling, it'll eventually reach 181 after ~18 minutes, but no higher than that. Feeling the upper radiator hose, it heats up gradually, instead of staying cold then suddenly going hot (like it should, right?)

When driving, it'll range from 178-191. The thermostat was a 192 degree one.

So...any idea what's wrong? Months ago I tried a Motocraft thermostat - same relatively-cool running engine. That was before I was faucet-testing anything, though.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know the 2.3 but all thermostats I've seen have a "jiggle valve" to allow air to escape to the other side. That would allow water to pass too.

Richard

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know the 2.3 but all thermostats I've seen have a "jiggle valve" to allow air to escape to the other side. That would allow water to pass too.

Richard
The one thermostat definitely has a jiggle valve - the other doesn't have an apparent one, at least. They both seem to drain at the same rate.

Should a jiggle valve be allowing water to go through as quickly as in the photo?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry, I don't know.

brentmc

Reaction score
Is it possible that the heater house outlet is allowing some water to get past the stat?

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When it's installed on the engine the head will press on the two metal thermostat tabs so that the thermostats rubber seal will seal against the housing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals