• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 turbo swap. Any advice?

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
The wiring changes to the Ranger harness are pretty minimal, I think it's around 10 wires that need to be screwed with, an afternoon project... all the advice I've been giving has been based on using as much of the Ranger stuff as possible to make the swap easier. Trying to use the Ranger computer would save you maybe 2 hours of work if you had a plan setup beforehand.
Ok, aside from the obvious re-pinning required at the ECC end; (Using an LA3 EEC)I've noticed some of the harness plug ends are different. I have all the required info for the computer end, but can't find any reference on the mismatched plug ends. I'm assuming I have to find TC plug ends, or hardwire those. So far, I've only located two that don't fit, (TPS, idle control) but assume there will be several more. I do have the TC injector harness, but probably don't need it; the injector ends fit. Just wondering how you dealt with this on your swap which apparently works well.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On the connectors, I used the parts from a turbo harness as I got it with the engine, NAPA might have pigtails for ya but I'm not sure, they do for a lot of things. Anything that connects up should be the same like injectors and such. One sensor you probably don't have on your truck is a MAP sensor, don't remember if they had them on the MAF engines (mine had a MAP sensor, not MAF, it was an '89 build sold as a '90 model year), the turbo engine uses a MAP sensor as a BARO sensor so you'll need one, just grab one from a junkyard if you can from a non MAF Ranger, they're mounted in the firewall just above the heater box and have a vacuum line going to it.

On the LA3 without an intercooler, the main physical difference that the LA3 cares about is the air temp sensor in the intake manifold, it doesn't care if there's an intercooler, it just takes the intake temperature into account for fueling. You can get it together with an LA3 and just get it going and modify things down the road to get an intercooler in the mix, my engine has been in for right at 5 years and I haven't gotten that far yet :)

The advantage of the roller cam over flat tappet is the roller cams last forever and don't wear out, current oil does not come with additives to help with flat tappet cams anymore, and like you found out there's less friction. The reason people use the Ranger roller cams is they have a similar grind to the turbo cams, and are apparently just a little better... with a turbo engine you want more low end power in the cam profile to help the engine along before the turbo kicks in, it'll add it's own air after that :)

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks again. My truck does not have a MAP sensor, but they are easy to find. A little steep $60.00, but plentiful. I'd assume the vacuum line would serve no purpose for the TC setup. BTW, the throttle swap worked great and eliminated 2 of the ends that didn't fit. Appreciate all the info! That should keep me busy for a minute. I've about finished all the work that could be done with the TC engine on the stand, and truck motor still mounted. I'm ready to swap em' out next.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
correct, don't need the vacuum hose for this application, but where it's mounted is nice and out of the way :), the turbocoupe one just has a tab and is externally mounted somewhere...

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The TC EGR valve is different from the Ranger EGR. Ranger EGR has vacuum line and wiring attached, and the TC EGR has just a vacuum line. Would you recommend swapping these? I'm not sure if the wiring would serve any purpose for the LA3, EEC.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I just left the vacuum line off, the engine doesn't know the difference... the turbo computer doesn't have the EGR position sensor like the Ranger computer...

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Will any 2 bar MAP sensor work for my application? There are lots of inexpensive ones on ebay. I've sold my Turbo Coupe,:sad: but now have the cash needed to finish the Turbo Ranger project!:D I've located a big vam and LA3 with wiring harness for a great price, and should have everything I need here by the end of the week. I'm VERY motivated to finish the truck now since the only vehicle I have to get my ass around is my Harley. LOL (Thank god for full face helmets and insulated overalls!!!)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You don't need a 2 bar map sensor, it's just sensing barometric pressure, like THIS ONE, the MAP sensor from the Ranger and Baro sensor for the turbo engines are the same other than the silly little cover for the hose barb... I have one somewhere, I could try digging it out if I can find it tomorrow night and send it your way if you want...

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
That would be great Scott. Just tell me what you want for it. Salvage yards in this part of TN are a joke. They literally sell worn out, old, crap for pretty close to new replacement cost. I don't even mess with them anymore unless it's something awfully hard to buy new. Thanks. BTW, I mounted the front pully's and alt/steering bracket etc., and the stock drive belt is now a little too short to accommodate the way I have the alt bracket positioned. Just wondering how you dealt with that. I'm pretty sure it won't be too hard to get a new belt that fits.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the factory turbo engine management only looks at output from the BAP when the key is turned from OFF to ON and the sensor is then ignored until the key is cycled to off and back on again...

The BAP is all about calibrating the VAM at start up for each operating "session"

AD

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Didn't get home til 9:30 tonight after picking up a new engine for my Tracker, I'll look tomorrow, I know I have one but my garage is a disaster after moving, all my spare 2.3L parts are in a crate under about 500lb of other "stuff" :), I have a good idea where I would have put it but if not it's in the crate...

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Didn't get home til 9:30 tonight after picking up a new engine for my Tracker, I'll look tomorrow, I know I have one but my garage is a disaster after moving, all my spare 2.3L parts are in a crate under about 500lb of other "stuff" :), I have a good idea where I would have put it but if not it's in the crate...
Thanks Scott, My last project was a Tracker. Rebuilt that one top to bottom. It was a fun little 4x4 as long as you don't mind putting gas in it. (It used a lot for a little 4 banger.) How do you get the DIS to work properly with the LA3? It's designed to run the distributor. Not at that point yet, but stumped on it.

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Would it be better to run the distributor than the DIS with an LA3, EEC? I'm pretty sure the computer does advance/retard the timing to control pinging and other things. This one really has me stumped, and I could easily go either direction on that; (have the distributor) however, I do prefer the simplicity of the DIS if it's as good of an option. (I've already drilled and tapped the block for the CPS, but no biggie if I don't use it.)

donfordguy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Would it be better to run the distributor than the DIS with an LA3, EEC? I'm pretty sure the computer does advance/retard the timing to control pinging and other things. This one really has me stumped, and I could easily go either direction on that; (have the distributor) however, I do prefer the simplicity of the DIS if it's as good of an option. (I've already drilled and tapped the block for the CPS, but no biggie if I don't use it.)
i'd like to keep my dis to is that not going to work with the turbo computer

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i'd like to keep my dis to is that not going to work with the turbo computer
I don't think the LA3 will control the DIS, but scotts90ranger did this build and used the DIS successfully. I'm not sure if he's running an LA3 though. Check back on this thread; he'll probably chime in soon. He's been a great advisor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals