• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One more 2wd 98 coil spring 5.0 swap.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
As the test fire date moves closer I thought I would knock a few items off the task list and experiment with posting video. I have never posted a video on a website before and wanted to be prepared when the time comes to start the truck. Today one of the task items included priming the oil system and installing the new cam positioning sensor. I started at TDC and ran the electric drill with the priming tool for about 30-45 seconds, then stopped for about 15 seconds and ran it again for another 25 seconds. Then I rotated the engine 1/4 turn and repeated the process until the engine had been turned a full revolution and the system had been fully primed. I attached a link with a short video below.

http://vid256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/jbrown1238/IMG_0933_zpshs2m95y1.mp4

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I find youtube is better than photo bucket...

SVT

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where did you end up getting your X4 tuner? Did they delete all the functions you needed? Any info(As much as possible) would be greatly appreciated! Great work so far.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Where did you end up getting your X4 tuner? Did they delete all the functions you needed? Any info(As much as possible) would be greatly appreciated! Great work so far.
I ordered mine from Greg at Speedy Dyno. He was recommended by a forum member here. He deleted all the auto trans functions, PATS, and the rear O2's. He also wrote a custom tune to get the truck up and running. The purchase included (5) custom tunes handled through e-mail and data logging.

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
As promised here is the first start up video. I admit I have been playing around for the last few days trying to get the truck to where it would crank when the key was turned. Once that was accomplished my son and I worked on getting it to start. This is the first attempt at getting it to run under its own power. It does not run well but it does run!

I have several codes popping up already,

P0135
P0155
P0176
P0708
P0743

A couple auto trans related codes, a couple o2 sensor codes, and a flex fuel code.

Ok, Ok, on with the video, just remember, this is the first start and it does have open headers and no o2 sensors!

http://vid256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/jbrown1238/IMG_0955_zpswo889blc.mp4

I will not have any time to work on the truck until after the Christmas holiday. However, if any of you have any comments or suggestions on what might help with the rough running of the engine please feel free to reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My son and I decided to set the balancer at “true” TDC and not the “0” mark on the balancer for TDC. At the same time we went ahead and moved the cam sensor/synchro one tooth and realigned. The truck has run four times for approximately 40 seconds each time. I am trying to keep the exhaust/head temperature down until I have an exhaust system installed. It has not yet been brought up to operating temp. It has good oil pressure and good fuel pressure.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Well Santa showed up today and had the perfect gift set aside for the 99 Ranger! One of the last three brand new 2004 Ford Lightning Leather Wrapped Steering wheels Ford has in inventory. They have been discontinued recently and are on the verge of disappearing for good. I have been sweating bullets for the last month or so!

I felt confident that everything else in the cab could be made to look brand new or be replaced with new pieces but the steering wheel issue has always concerned me. Other than a brand new piece, that part of the restoration would never have the appearance of “new”. Without it the rest of the interior would suffer.

A few days ago I celebrated my 4 year wedding anniversary, a few days later I was able to spend the afternoon with my son and start the 99 Ranger for the first time. December has been a very good month to me. I can’t wait until the day comes in a few months when I can mount this steering wheel! It will be the very last piece installed before the truck is tagged and placed into service.” Thank you Jandi for the perfect Christmas Day present.”

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your wife must be a patient and understanding woman, what with all the hours you spend on your Ranger.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The 708 and 743 I'll have to look at. Theres several values that need to be adjusted to disable the auto trans, I might have missed one. The 176 code you'll have to look at and double check your wiring, I can also check into this if you need. The first 2 codes, you know about. I get back monday, so I can check the tune and send you an update monday evening...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
The 708 and 743 I'll have to look at. Theres several values that need to be adjusted to disable the auto trans, I might have missed one. The 176 code you'll have to look at and double check your wiring, I can also check into this if you need. The first 2 codes, you know about. I get back monday, so I can check the tune and send you an update monday evening...

SVT
Thank you very much. No rush at all. The truck will be going out for exhaust in a few weeks. I really don't plan to start it again until after it returns so we have plenty of time.

Just curious, do you think the flex fuel code could be impacting the running of the truck at this time? I eliminated the flex fuel sensor and replaced the flex fuel line with the standard OE fuel line but I did not repin any of the wiring. I left that small harness intact and simply unplugged the sensor.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Your wife must be a patient and understanding woman, what with all the hours you spend on your Ranger.
Most people that know her probably would not say she is real patient! But honestly I can say she has never once said anything negative about the truck or about me spending too much time outside. She has always been supportive about the project and for years has been supplying misc parts for the birthdays and holidays. Pistons, connecting rods, lifters, oil pump, brake calipers, steering wheel, etc. have all been generously given. I am very lucky.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to look into the flex fuel issue. Problem is, the EQE2 ecu is not configured to run flex fuel. Just taking a shot here, but you did install the correct ecu, right? If you haven't, remember to return the ecu to stock tune with the handheld before you swap them...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I'll have to look into the flex fuel issue. Problem is, the EQE2 ecu is not configured to run flex fuel. Just taking a shot here, but you did install the correct ecu, right? If you haven't, remember to return the ecu to stock tune with the handheld before you swap them...

SVT
I am not sure why it slipped my mind earlier, I used the tune that came with the SCT Tuner I purchased for the truck through Greg at Speedy Dyno. That tune is loaded on the (HCL4) ECM from the 01 Mountaineer. The tune you built for me I planned to use on the second ECM I purchased (EQE2) for a back up.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I missed the opportunity to take photos of the drive shaft after it was media blasted. It looked really nice and I wish I could have caught a few images of it in that stage of assembly. Once I got it home I sprayed it with epoxy primer and then a flat black top coat.

After a day or two of drying time I went ahead and pressed in the new Moog U-joints and attached the new T5 slip yoke. Now it will go out for balancing and after that it will be installed into the 99 Ranger.

The next step will be crossing a few “T’s” and dotting a few “I’s” while I prepare the truck to go out for exhaust in a couple weeks. Here is the task list I will be working on this week.

Attach cruise control.
Add radiator overflow hose, approx 5 feet.
Clearance on passenger side header needs attention.
Install hitch.
Install rear bumper.
Install rear sway bar.
Install drive shaft.
Install longer ARP rear wheel studs or remove rear spacers.
Install hood latch.
Secure Emergency brake cable.

Check torque, fan, clutch fan, balancer, engine/trans ,mount, shocks, etc.
Check bolts for front suspension, cab/frame, rear suspension.
Check bolts for fuel tank and headers.
Check all vacuum lines.
Check all wires and plugs.
Secure cab/chassis strap.
***Send out to Jim for exhaust.***

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals