• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger & Explorer Leaf Springs

ZWilson07

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Like the title states, does anyone know the actual differences between the Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger rear leafs springs?

I know a lot of people do the 4 door Explorer rear leaf swap on the Rangers to either lift the rear or get about the same height while removing the factory block. Im just curious if they are literally the exact same leaf spring, but the Explorer has more leafs? Or if they have the same leaf amount but its actually a different leaf thickness or what?

I have seen to where there are actually different codes for the leafs that correspond with weight ratings but don't know if they match over.

Still searching to find hard evidence of the ratings and leaf codes for each. Seems like each forum I search on or google, each thread says something a little differently.

If it helps I am just looking at 95-01 explorer leafs differences and 98+ ranger differences.

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Just be aware that apparently there are no eye bushings for a 95+ Explorer top leaf.

ZWilson07

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just be aware that apparently there are no eye bushings for a 95+ Explorer top leaf.
What options are there? Just making a different kit work by drilling out the metal sleeve a little or what?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I used Ranger top leaves to avoid the problem. My rear eye bushings are still an extremely tight fit. IDK what happened there.

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I saw this post and now I'm wondering what you mean by this, as I just ordered brand new Explorer springs for my truck.. Is it that the front eye bushing is too small/big compared to the Ranger?? I also got new shackles and got a new leaf bushing with it.. Will that not work as well?

Thanks!!

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
They both have the same amount of leaves, the explorer leaves are a little thicker. I just gave my buddy some 4 door explorer leaves for his 86 ranger. They swapped right in without any problems. We didn't measure but it looks like it lifted the rear up about an inch or two.

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was more so looking to find out if OEM bushings in brand new Explorer leaf springs will bolt right up to my 2004 Ranger, since I had seen a lot of mention of pre-98 Rangers, and others using aftermarket bushings with issues.. I'm keeping that stuff OEM, and from what I read, it LOOKS like they are both 9/16" eye bolts (from the factory) with the same actual bushing sizes..

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Explorer springs should bolt into your Ranger, speaking from experience.

Explorer leafs are same distance eye to eye as Ranger springs. They are approximately two inches taller. They are approximately the same thickness. The highest factory ratings for both are about the same. Explorer springs have a lower spring rate, basically means they are softer ride and will sag more under the same amount of weight. Speaking from experience the spring rate difference isn't really an issue unless you regularly have a lot of weight in the bed.

I have Explorer springs bolted into both a 1986 Ranger 2wd and a 1999 Ranger 4wd using factory Ranger hardware. The 86 has the springs installed with an Explorer axle in spring under configuration for about a 3" drop, at least it will be once I remove the lift shackles that I thought I needed (wasn't thinking about the height difference). On the 99 I started with the Explorer springs and lift block removed to retain stock rear ride height, I've since added lifting shackles for a little extra height.

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!!!!!

That also brought up a concern I had when I plan to start doing the 5.0 swap.. I wanted to use the Explorer rear axle from the donor, but didn't want to have to worry about flipping spring perches, so I figured I'd use a lift shackle to offset the 5 inches of drop that happens with the spring-under configuration.. I wanted to lower the 2wd, but not 5 inches..

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Axle flip = about 5" drop. Installing an explorer axle without relocating the spring perches is essentially an axle flip.

Explorer springs w/ flip = about 3" drop

You can also add Chevy lowering shackles to lift it up a bit more. I got ones from local parts house. Extended roughly 1-2 inches depending on holes used.

These are all rough numbers. YMMV

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!!!!!

That also brought up a concern I had when I plan to start doing the 5.0 swap.. I wanted to use the Explorer rear axle from the donor, but didn't want to have to worry about flipping spring perches, so I figured I'd use a lift shackle to offset the 5 inches of drop that happens with the spring-under configuration.. I wanted to lower the 2wd, but not 5 inches..
Watch your pinion angle doing that, it might get out of whack.

Dunno how you could measure an Explorer spring and come up with it being softer than a Ranger spring, mine are much firmer. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with newer Ranger springs than my used (and free) Explorer springs. I have had an entire two row cultivator for a A-C model C tractor (Both gangs, front bracket, rockshaft and 4 lifting rods) in the back of my Ranger, no sag. It is like a little rough riding ant.

The difference with my stock '85 springs (top) and '96 4dr Explorer(bottom):

Cultivator on board:

Last edited:

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't think they were softer as when I ordered the brand new leafs, they were rated about 200-300lbs more than the Ranger springs, and since the leaves are a little thicker, the entire pack assembled is what gets the extra inch or two when they are used.. I have heard they ride better than the Ranger springs, which I'm guessing is for a couple reasons: a little more suspension travel, better progressive spring rates.. Not entirely sure, but I have yet to hear people say it rode worse after the swap...

That's badass that they don't sag, even with all of that stuff in the bed!!!! How long have you had them on your truck??

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn't think they were softer as when I ordered the brand new leafs, they were rated about 200-300lbs more than the Ranger springs, and since the leaves are a little thicker, the entire pack assembled is what gets the extra inch or two when they are used.. I have heard they ride better than the Ranger springs, which I'm guessing is for a couple reasons: a little more suspension travel, better progressive spring rates.. Not entirely sure, but I have yet to hear people say it rode worse after the swap...

That's badass that they don't sag, even with all of that stuff in the bed!!!! How long have you had them on your truck??
Been in there about 4 years.

Stiffer springs reduce suspension travel rather than increase it.

It doesn't ride that bad but kind of has a 1 ton truck type firmness to it now.

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't think spring rates had anything to do with travel?? I was more eluding to the fact that the Explorer springs are taller, so you'd end up gaining a little bit of travel, albeit, it'd be tougher to get the springs compressed, but you'd still gain an extra inch of gap between the frame and axle..

Do you know which spring Code you received when you got your springs??

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn't think spring rates had anything to do with travel?? I was more eluding to the fact that the Explorer springs are taller, so you'd end up gaining a little bit of travel, albeit, it'd be tougher to get the springs compressed, but you'd still gain an extra inch of gap between the frame and axle..

Do you know which spring Code you received when you got your springs??
I think of wheel travel as up and down, it is harder to cram a wheel with a stiff spring up and it is harder to shove a wheel with a stiff spring down so they are more likely to have a tire hanging in the air. Taller springs will gain you tire clearance though.

No idea on the code, pulled them and the 8.8 out of a ho-hum '96 4.0 Explorer. I do remember the axle code was D4 though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals