• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant Leak: Water Pump or Timing Cover Gasket?

nobb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I have a 2008 Ranger with the 3.0 and the coolant reservoir is going down about 2-3 cm per week (very minor for now). I'm not completely sure where the leak is. Just from visual inspection, the upper area of the water pump seems to be a bit wet but it could be from the valve cover gaskets. On the bottom of the water pump and around the oil pan, there's a weird goopy yellowish clay type of residue that might be dried coolant + oil, but I'm not 100% sure. My passenger side valve covers are a bit weepy, so it might be mixing with a coolant leak.

I'm waiting for my UV dye and UV light to come in from Amazon, so in the meantime I'm curious to hear your tips on how to best use the UV dye when I get it. How would I best determine if the leak is only the water pump gasket, or if it's the timing gasket? These components are so close to each other. Ideally I don't want to have to do the timing cover gasket because it looks like a huge PITA with regards to removing the oil pan and such.

oranjvoodoodaddy

Reaction score
Best way to test a cooling system in my experience has been with a cooling system pressure tester. If the leak can't be found when using this tool on a cold engine, try it on a warm engine.

I don't have any experience using UV dye in cooling systems. Please share your findings.

My '94 ranger with 225k seeps from the timing cover on the passenger side and a couple of the freeze plugs only when I've been driving and wheelin' in 100' weather. I put some bars leak (the brown one) in it about 6-7k ago and have added maybe a quart of coolant in that time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine turned out to be a defective radiator cap. Go with the 7 pounder cap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals