• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC clutch stays engaged

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 ranger 4cyl manual. my ac clutch stays engaged only when in max ac or just ac. recently changed the ac compressor with clutch, dryer, orfice tube, and clutch cycle switch( attached to the dryer).
if i keep it running you can start to smell a burning rubber smell but the belt looks fine. when the truck is running in max ac I disconnected the clutch sensor and the clutch disengages. i just had it completely drained and recharged. is this new compressor locked up?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Just a note... you make posts, people try to help and you almost never respond.

Did you drain the oil out of the receiver? Did you add mfg's required amount of oil to the new comp? Did you use a vac pump? Is the belt on for the correct rotation direction of the compressor? Over charged, air, too much oil, too little oil, may cause overload seizing, belt or clutch to slip or even a bad tension pulley

Last edited:

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I asked the shop to add the oil to it I believeit takes 7 ounces but I don't know if they drained and refilled it or not. I'd have to call and see if the shop vacuumed it or not but being a shop I assumed thru did considering I had a leak at the high pressure port. I'll check the belt rotation but I'm almost positive it's on correctly I'll haveto get back toyou on that.

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just a note... you make posts, people try to help and you almost never respond.

Did you drain the oil out of the receiver? Did you add mfg's required amount of oil to the new comp? Did you use a vac pump? Is the belt on for the correct rotation direction of the compressor? Over charged, air, too much oil, too little oil, may cause overload seizing, belt or clutch to slip or even a bad tension pulley
Side note....
it did run for about 2-3 days not constantly it had rained a bit so it was cool out. so iI you not run it very muchat all

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Re- reading your other posts I have to say, you shouldn't be having so much trouble.
Auto air conditioning is not like home air conditioning there are many variables and they're always changing,. Engine speed, temperature, fan speed,.
basically it will run continuously if it's really hot out and the system is charge properly. If it's hot outside the truck and as it gets cooler in the truck it may start cycling even though the switch on the panel is still on AC or Max,. Also the compressor runs when it's in defrost for the windshield because it removes humidity faster than heat removes it.

When it is not hot out and the air conditioning is on the compressor will most likely go on and off according to the needs of the low pressure control.

Last edited:

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Re- reading your other posts I have to say, you shouldn't be having so much trouble.
could that clutch cycle sensor be bad it is from oreilys and I know their electrical parts go bad a lot?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Just because it is a new part doesn't mean it can't be bad. I have bought several components over the years that were no good right out of the box.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The clutch cycle switch is actually a low pressure switch that's how these systems are controlled . I think some of the GM systems on the more luxurious cars, the compressor runs all the time and other controls affect the cabin temperature and operation of the system.

If your system is giving you 15 or 20 degrees colder than the air in the cab, and the evaporator line before the accumulator is cold and sweating it's generally working right without getting into thermometers and gauges.

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The clutch cycle switch is actually a low pressure switch that's how these systems are controlled . I think some of the GM systems on the more luxurious cars, the compressor runs all the time and other controls affect the cabin temperature and operation of the system.

If your system is giving you 15 or 20 degrees colder than the air in the cab, and the evaporator line before the accumulator is cold and sweating it's generally working right without getting into thermometers and gauges.
before it stayed on constantly when in idle it was cycling on and off as it should. I noticed thar it was stuckon when I was driving and I heard a screeching sound and started to smell, what seemed like, the belt. since then the clutch doesn't cycle at all just stays engaged not even on a cool morning start up. I may just go ahead and order a motor craft cycle switch and see what happens. kinda at a loss at this point. except digging back into the system double checking everything

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
before it stayed on constantly when in idle it was cycling on and off as it should. I noticed thar it was stuckon when I was driving and I heard a screeching sound and started to smell, what seemed like, the belt. since then the clutch doesn't cycle at all just stays engaged not even on a cool morning start up. I may just go ahead and order a motor craft cycle switch and see what happens. kinda at a loss at this point. except digging back into the system double checking everything
The compressor not turning would still receive the signal on the clutch to go on, if the clutch is engaged and the compressor can't turn there's a good chance the belt is slipping something's definitely not right.
can you turn the compressor by hand?

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The compressor not turning would still receive the signal on the clutch to go on, if the clutch is engaged and the compressor can't turn there's a good chance the belt is slipping something's definitely not right.
can you turn the compressor by hand?
the compressor is definitely turning but after about 20 seconds of being turnedon it is almost too hot to touch

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I don't know what's going on! you have a new compressor and had a professional recharge the system for you. Compressors do get hot unless they're charged so much the refrigerant cools it, but it's not necessary like on central air conditioning, I'm more concerned about this belt burning you're talking about, can you make a video?

you sure you don't just have a bad idler pulley or something? It's a new clutch with the new compressor? I wouldn't expect it to be slipping. I replaced everything but the compressor on my system, it's cold in my truck!

Last edited:

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what's going on! you have a new compressor and had a professional recharge the system for you. Compressors do get hot unless they're charged so much the refrigerant cools it, but it's not necessary like on central air conditioning, I'm more concerned about this belt burning you're talking about, can you make a video?

you sure you don't just have a bad idler pulley or something? It's a new clutch with the new compressor? I wouldn't expect it to be slipping. I replaced everything but the compressor on my system, it's cold in my truck!
Update
I tried running the truck for a minute with it in max ac and the clutch tried to disengage and engage again and then the ac clutch started to smoke

AntTim04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

I have a video how's the best way to get it on here?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
New clutch with new compressor? Now you have me wondering if you have a hydrostatic block on the high side translation; the high pressure is so high to compressor can't turn or the compressor is locked up.
I usually put a video on YouTube and copy the link here it's easier, takes up less bandwidth
I wouldn't expect the air gap to be large on a new clutch but that's easy to check.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals