• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

where is orifice tube

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
in my 90 ranger 4 liter? i'm updating my ac, changing the lines from the compressor, the canister thing and the orifice tube. I can't find it.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Let me help you with some terminology.

The thing Inside the Box on the firewall is called an evaporator, the canister is an accumulator drier, the lines to the compressor and condenser are called refrigerant lines,

what looks like Radiator in front of the radiator, is a air conditioning condenser.

The orifice tube is named improperly.

it's an orifice that fits inside of a tube.
The refrigerant line coming from the condenser leads to the evaporator. when you first look at it you think it goes into the bottom of the accumulator but it doesn't. The orifice fits in the tube at the bottom of the evaporator. This is where the orifice will be, you'll need needle nose or a special tool to pull it out. they are plastic and hard to get out because they get driven into the tube from the high-pressure refrigerant. You will most likely replace it with a blue orifice.

While you are doing all this, you want to make certain that your fan clutch, fan, radiator and condenser are in top condition. if you don't HEAR the fan when it's hot out, it means a fan clutch may not be working right and your air conditioning will not cool properly.

Last edited:

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
orifice

thanks for the answers. I was about to go look into the exit line of the evaporator since I hadn't seen it anywhere else. It's going to be hard to get to since it's under the battery box and other things. But now I know where it is. Again, thank you.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The orifice is actually a refrigerant metering device, they are always on the line going into the evaporator, not out.
What model truck / size engine do you have? battery on the right?
My 4. 0 is on the right, meaning passenger side, and the air box has to be removed

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
One more thing about the orifice, it's real easy to look at it and think it's backwards. the flow is towards the evap, coil

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Orifice tube is always at the last access fitting going into the evaporator. The accumulator is always on the outgoing side of the evaporator, makes it easy to figure out which side is which.

Also, if you look around closely at the lines near the evap you can often find small crimp marks in the line, looks like someone pinched it with some pliers, that is where the orifice is.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I found it at the last fitting leading into the evaporator box. It was pretty hard to pull out but I did get it out. It was covered with sludge. No, it wasn't inside the box but almost directly under the accumulator.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Just wondering did you even read or look at the information that we gave you? good luck

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I removed and replaced the orifice. It is located in the last fitting leading into the evaporator box almost directly under the accumulator. It was covered with sludge. Now I have two questions. My mechanic told me to drain the compressor and replace the oil with oil having die in it. He showed a plastic bottle of what he uses. I can't remember what type it is, what number, i.e., 100 or 150. was it peg or ether? I went to the parts store but didn't find what he had. What oil should I use, with die in it. The next question is about a vacuum line at the evaporator box. There's a canister mounted on top of the evaporator. Next the firewall there is a vacuum line coming out of the canister. It leads to a T.. From there one 1/8" line is blanked off. Another, bigger line goes back to the vacuum manifold. Where should the blanked off line go?

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
Just wondering did you even read or look at the information that we gave you? good luck
what are you talking about. I said I found the orifice. I appreciate your help.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
what are you talking about. I said I found the orifice. I appreciate your help.
It seemed like you hadn't read any of the advice, no matter.

Good luck

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
Your advice is what enabled me to find it. Thank you! Are you going to help we with my new questions?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Now I have two questions. My mechanic told me to drain the compressor and replace the oil with oil having die in it. He showed a plastic bottle of what he uses. I can't remember what type it is, what number, i.e., 100 or 150. was it peg or ether? I went to the parts store but didn't find what he had. What oil should I use, with die in it. The next question is about a vacuum line at the evaporator box. There's a canister mounted on top of the evaporator. Next the firewall there is a vacuum line coming out of the canister. It leads to a T.. From there one 1/8" line is blanked off. Another, bigger line goes back to the vacuum manifold. Where should the blanked off line go?
Are you using a new (or remanufactured) A/C compressor? Or are you still using the original compressor that originally had R-12 in it? (this matters for which oil you need)

The canister above the evap box is a vacuum reservoir for the recirculated air vent door solenoid (operates when you switch between "A/C" & "Max A/C"). Hose from canister goes into a "T"... From there, one side goes to the vacuum manifold on the intake as you mention, the other side enters into a wiring harness (right where the wiring for the blower motor resistor comes out) and (I assume) from there goes to a valve or switch operated by the "Max A/C" control, and then finally to the fresh/recirculated vent door solenoid.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
Thanks for the answers. I'm using the stock compressor. I intent to take it off and drain it and put some oil back in. I bought some Pag100 with die. I'll measure how much drains out and replace that amount or 3 ozs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals