• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear drive shaft

ohiojack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 1987 bronc0 2 is starting to make a weird noise from a stop/or slow speeds up to to 55-60 mph went the noise stops. At first I thought it was the rear brake/antilock system, but I coasted down to 30 and then regained speed, it still made the same rattling type of noise. The exhaust is tight and new. Could the drive shaft be making this type of noise? And what type of drive shaft be used instead of the "tulip type"?:icon_confused:

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure your noise is coming from the drive shaft....does the truck shimmy or shake/vibrate while driving?

ohiojack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No the truck doesn't shake at all,it just has a funny rattle sound to it. I did try to grab and shake the driveshaft a while back, and it didn't have any movement that I noticed.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
When my cv shaft was going, it only made the clicking noise when accelerating or when the engine was under a heavy load. If you have the tulip type (cv) shaft the double cardan style is a great upgrade in my opinion. Check in the tech library under "driveshafts" for a picture. Also, a greasy streak will appear on the body right above the cv boots as they're on their way out.

ohiojack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So what vehicle should I pull the drive shaft from???

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drive shaft

Look for a '87 to '88 BII, as those seem to be the ones with the spicer shaft. It is much stronger than the cv type. It was also on most 2wd BII's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals