• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What wire to splice?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
im trying to figure out what wire i need to splice into for key on power. i need power while engine is off but key is on, and engine on key on power. can i just splice into the red/ lt green wire i used for the duraspark box?

im trying to wire my reverse lights up and i need power going to the plug. i already know the light is the purple striped wire. im also going to be wiring an aux backup lamp in as well.

the next thing is the electric choke. when i did the duraspark conversion i foolishly cut the wire that goes to the choke. what wire can i tap into for that? can i use the same red/lt green wire as the duraspark box, or do i need to run a wire from the starter solenoid?

im removing the holley carb and putting a 2150 back on, and im trying to get my electric choke where it will work properly.

thanks guys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
there is a few empty spots in the fuse box with a key on just use a test light to find them

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Well I'm not really sure if it needs key on power all the time for the choke or just during starting. Maybe someone will know. Also my fuse box is full, is it safe to "piggyback" with another accessory? What I mean is I already have something in a fuse spot with those c fitting jobsn is it ok to stick 2 wire's c fittings in the same slot?

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
backup wiring

Check the plug on the backup light switch on the tranny, you will have two wires, as it is a switch. It should be on the left side of the trans, just below the shifter. The factory manual I am looking at doesn't give me the wire colors, but power comes from number 5 fuse, which is a 15A. According to this book, there should be 4 points not used, but they should have a connection terminal in one spot. As for the carb., you can connect to the "I" terminal on the starter solenoid, as long as you have the four terminal solenoid. If you want to use one of the wires from the EEC, use the connector that only has two wires. You can then connect to the red wire. Don't connect to the white wire as that is used in the starting circuit, and it provides an increased voltage for the ignition coil during start up. I can send you a copy of the pages out of this manual if you need them. I have the wiring book for an '88, if you need any more help, but I'm not sure if that manual will help or not.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
I'm durasparked so I have no eec, and I did away with the wires(from the choke) when I did the holley with manual choke. I'm goin back to a 2150, so I guess ill use the I terminal on my solenoid. I guess ill see if I can find the number 5 fuse for the backup. I have the connector on my rig from the a4ld ford the tcc, but after the dspark I accidentally cut the power wire going to it or else I would use that. Could I also use the I terminal for that or does it need to be fused. I aint too good with wiring so I'm kinda in the dark without my wiring diagrams(still packed in boxes from my house remodel).

Also the carb I have has some light surface rust on the idle mixture needles and butterfly. What's the best way to remove the rust? Also would the needles come in a rebuild kit? The rest of the carb is nice and clean, just gonna rebuild it, and make another metering block. I don't like the cold starts and offroad actions of the holley

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"I" terminal

Feasibly you can use the "I" terminal for the backup light power also, just don't overload it, your best bet is to use either a fusible link, or an inline fuse.
I would use a 15A inline fuse or a 20g, 6" piece of fusible wire. If you use the fusible wire, solder both ends and cover with shrink wrap, as you don't want the connection exposed. If you decide to use an additional light for the backup, use a power circuit with a relay, because if you just connect the additional light to the backup circuit, you will probably blow the fuse. If you need any help in doing the power relay circuit, just let me know, and I'll send you a drawing for the circuit.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The power to the backup lamps uses the same power to the turn signal flasher for 84 it is the purple/orange should be hot with the key on the choke thermostat can be tapped off the coil power wire or you can try using the connector on the alternator that only has power around 8 volts when the engine is running. But for the backup find the power wire to the turn signal flasher and run that through the backup switch and run your lights off the switch. You may need to go the next size up on the turn signal fuse.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I went to hook up the backup lights and wired up the backup wire to the plug, then ran a wire from the battery to plug, just to make sure it worked. Put the truck in reverse and no worky. I know I have the right wire for the reverse lights, so that's not it. On the fm146 is the reverse switch the one on the side of the trans, or the one on top with the plug comming off of about 3" of wire? Both are 2 wire, but not sure if I'm wiring up the right one

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I went to hook up the backup lights and wired up the backup wire to the plug, then ran a wire from the battery to plug, just to make sure it worked. Put the truck in reverse and no worky. I know I have the right wire for the reverse lights, so that's not it. On the fm146 is the reverse switch the one on the side of the trans, or the one on top with the plug comming off of about 3" of wire? Both are 2 wire, but not sure if I'm wiring up the right one

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
I got it. Was the purple and black with white.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals