• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Extreme swerving over bumps.

troyniss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I recently bought a 1997 ford ranger 2.3 5 speed.

I upgraded the tires to 31" BFG A/T and after installing noticed the extreme rub.Turns out my whole front suspension was sagged/gone to crap. I spent the money and got everything fixed in the front suspension, the works- shocks, struts, etc, etc. Everything was looked over so wasn't worried.

Come driving time, it seems that every time I go over a bump or hit a pothole, I swerve to the right ALOT. When I mean a lot I'm talking a good 3 or 4 feet to the right. I almost crashed into the curb going about 50mph and it scares the daylights out of me. I'd hate to be going on the highway and hit a pothole and roll over, or cause someone else's property to be damaged or hurt someone.

I can't seem to find out what's wrong, but have noticed that one of my tires (drivers side rear) wobbles a little bit, and seems to be cambered in. I don't think the place I took it to did a rear alignment when I got the suspension fixed andI don't think it's the front suspension as everything is brand spanking new.

Alignment? Not sure if it's rear suspension or I need a new sway bar? Any advice would help. I guess best thing would be is to take it in.

Thanks for input.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, there shouldn't be ANY wobble in the front tire. Find out what's wrong.

Take a picture of the front at a height the same as the middle of the tire, ~ 15" from the ground. Get the whole front from tire to tire in the pic and post in this thread.

troyniss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure I exactly follow what you mean by taking a picture from front and then middle.

I must test drive it again to see when the swerve happens. If it starts after the front tire hits then the shop that did my front end messed up. If it happens after the rear hits then it has to be the rear.I can't imagine it being the front end as everything on it was just replaced. I know for sure the back wasn't done, so it could be worn struts on the back or some related issue.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I cannot be worn struts because your truck doesn't have struts.

Floored wants you to hold the camera level with the center line of the tire and post it so we can see if there appears to be a problem.

troyniss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay so just take a picture of the front end facing the truck 15" off the ground.

I'll be updating in the next few days. I'll also take a picture of the rear too.

Thank you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals