• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

GEM Swap Problem 1998 XLT 4wd

Thaley615

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Experienced problem with intermittent dome light and 4x4 actuator functioning. Trouble shooting led me to GEM. Got used one on eBay, disconnected battery, installed. Problem seemingly resolved but, on test drive. When auto trans shifts to 2 new gear, stalls and speedo says I am going 70-100 mph? If I shift the selector to low (1) 2wd, sputters but does not stall when his 5 mph and shifts to second...idles for 15 min after install and then sputtered around neighborhood for 30 min as a post said it would re-set itself after a while...bad GEM?....suggestions?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I assume you don't have 4WABS(4 wheel ABS), if that is the case then yes GEM is used to set "true speed"
GEM gets VSS(vehicle speed sensor) signal from rear axle ABS sensor.
It then converts that signal to "true speed" using pre-programmed tire size, and sends that out to Computer(for shifting), speedometer for correct speed, and cruise.

It reads like the GEM you got is either bad or from a vehicle with 4WABS.
4WABS vehicles used the ABS module to correct for "True speed" so GEM was not programmed for it

If speedometer was just off a little then then I would think it was OK just needed correct tire size added, but you describe wild swings in speedometer so either GEM has no programming for this or it is bad

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals