• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 3.0 Automatic kills batteries

deadbeat

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Ranger with the 3.0 auto and it is killing batteries. Sometimes it will start fine for a week or two and sometimes it kills it overnight. I have put 2 new batteries in it and recently have started to disconnect the battery when I turn it off. I have replaced all of the underhood relays and fuses but now I don't really know where to look. Are there any common areas that I should look at?

RocketRod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Connect a voltmeter to your battery. Pull a fuse one at a time and look for voltage drop. do this for all fuses as you may have more than on circuit drawing power. Tedious, but you need to find which circuit to then drill down to specific items.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, there is no common short or drain location.
Check that under hood light and glove box light are going off.

There are two ways to "kill" car batteries
Constant drain, when you turn off the key there will be about a .5amp drain on a 1996 and up Ranger, that will drain the battery down in 4 or 5 days, but.......
After about 20 minutes of key off doors closed, the GEM module or SJB, will turn off the battery saver relay and that drain will drop to .03 to .07amps, which won't cause a battery problem for a few months
The .03-.07amps is used/needed for keyless entry, radio presets memory and computer memory.

Constant overcharging a car battery also kills it, failed voltage regulator.

You need a volt/amp meter to diagnose the system.
First thing to do is to test battery voltage with key OFF, 12.3 to 12.9volts
Start engine, battery should now show 14.1 to 14.9volts, UNDER 15volts is a must
If voltage is still 12volts then alternator is not ON or not working

If you are seeing 14volts then alternator is working, but you have to wait about 5 minutes with engine idling to test it again.
After initial Recharge, 14+ volts, the voltage regulator must lower the voltage or battery will be "cooked", chemicals in the battery will boil away.
So after about 5 min. test battery voltage again, should be 13.6volts(approx.) but under 14volts for sure.
13.2volts is too low, alternator probably has a failed field

If engine running voltage stays above 14volts then battery will fail in a few weeks.

Using an amp meter
Disconnect 1 battery cable, connect amp meter between cable and battery so you can see the amps passing between car and battery, thats the drain, and it should be .5 or so at first, after 20-30min it should drop to .03 to .07amps which is normal.

Battery saver relay should open, cut power to lights and cab electrics, after 20-30mins

Last edited:

Dustinicus

Reaction score
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i know its different, but I had the same issue with my 85 ranger, turned out the voltage regulator was staying "open?" it would keep the part of its circuit open that went to charge the battery so when the truck was off it would drain.
Good luck, I have a big mess of electrical issues im dealing with.
Dustin

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals