• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TFI issue?

Swiftkid

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My 2.9 only runs good cold, as soon as you let it get to operating temp it will start to sputter and die. It will do this while driving or just idling. Is this the TFI issue? I have a extra TFI i'm gonna put on it this week hoping that will fix the issue.

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem and remoted the TFI in a Aerostar heat sink.I also relocated it to the interior on the bottom of the plemum box(there's a flat spot there to mount it)Also replace the distribitor,the hall effect failed on mine.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's likely either the TFI or the oxygen sensor.

Swiftkid

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What do you mean by remoted the tfi?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The stock location of your TFI allows it to get too hot, which results in failures. Explorers, ect. have the TFI remotely located (away from the hot engine) to deal with this issue. You can remove the TFI from it's current location, mount it into an Aerostar TFI heatsink (an aluminum block with cooling fins) and then mount it remotely from the engine. You will have to splice some extensions onto the harness, and be sure to use the foil wrap (forgot what it's called) RFI shielding. You will also need to "blank" off the hole the TFI left at it's stock position.

There is a writeup somewhere on here about how to do it. It's not difficult. You do need to solder the wiring extensions.

Also, there are at least three different types of screws mounting the TFI in it's current location. You will need to use a mirror to see into the holes to see what you have. There are torx screws, phillips screws, and metric blot type screws, That I have run into. The holes that the screws are inside, are very narrow, and if you have the metric boltheads, you may need to go get a ford "special tool" at autozone, or the like. It IS a metric head, but the mounting hole won't accept many metric sockets, because the walls of the socket are too thick.

fordfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Woe is me, I got rid of a good Ranger because of the same symptoms, only to find out it had been a bad alternator when I swapped THAT over to my Bll! I knew the brushes were good, I didn't draw a connection between diodes and heat. I NEVER associated it with the alt, as it only ran poor when warm, seemed an oddity, but then.. I once had the same problem with a voltage regulator. I still have yet to have a TFI problem, hopefully it stays that way!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals