• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trailer wiring issue. brake light and turn signal don't work with head light on

booblinker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The brake light and turn signals work when the headlights are off, but when I turn the headlights on, the turn signals and brake light no longer do anything, it just stays lit. Trailer lights are 2 wire, dual filament, and ground to frame.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
2 bulb? (red+reverse) or 3 bulb? (red+amber+reverse)

If it's the 97 (which should still be 3 color) I'd say something is shorting out between wires that run to the brake lights, jumping onto the others making them all just stay on when the tail-lights come on.

Do they change brightness if you step on the brake pedal?

My bet is frayed/shorted wires or the little adapter harness itself is toast.

booblinker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Single bulb, two wire, grounds to frame. Brand new wiring and lights on trailer, new trailer wiring and convertor on truck. I've been told I probably hooked the taillights to the bright filement, and the brake/turn signals to the low filement. We will see when I get off work tonight and swap the wires.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Single bulb, two wire, grounds to frame. Brand new wiring and lights on trailer, new trailer wiring and convertor on truck. I've been told I probably hooked the taillights to the bright filement, and the brake/turn signals to the low filement. We will see when I get off work tonight and swap the wires.
Ah, yes that will do it as well.

As for 2 bulb or 3 bulb I was referring to the lights on the truck. If the wires were shorting to each other it would still blink if you turned the signal on with the 2 bulb tail-lights because the tail light itself would blink.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
Looking at it from a schematic point of view, I think you may have switched ground and headlight.
If Headlight and turn are hot w/o ground, light goes out. Headlight cold & Turn hot, lights on.
If ground was headlight hot, then when headlights off Turn/brake would light. When headlights hot, turn/brake nothing as the ground side of the turn/brake would be hot and therefore no voltage difference no current flow in bulb.
If weak ground turn/brake will tend to pulse very weakly. Also if I am correct when Turn/brake is on & lights off you may see a dim glow from running/marker lights, and when headlights are on the markers will be full bright.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals