• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What problems arise from towing a trailer with the tongue slightly avobe horizontal p

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Trailer tongue too high makes the trailer sway, too low push steers the truck. Ideal is slightly high in the tongue about 1 inch above level. More to it than that but a good starting point

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
I would differ with most here bsed on my experences and the math. :icon_twisted:1st the math; If your tongue weight, as with an RV trailer there is a dry weight and dry tounge weight on the vin tag, is 200lbs on a 2000lb trailer (the tngue weight can vary due to center of gravity and axle placement (IE 1425lb dry weight trailer from factory with 175lb tounge weighth dry) as you lift the nose of the trailer more weight is transfered to the axle and the tongue weight drops, and the inverse is true. So if your neutral or level position tongue weight is only 10% of load, then high nose pulling is not a good idea, as is the inverse, if you are near max tongue capacity for your hitch to much nosie down would be bad.
:dunno:2nd the experience, IMO and IME towing just below level is ideal, provides for proper % of tongue weight to be applied yet does not over burden the hitch. However, just above is no a problem either. But once you start to exceed about 1 inch to 1.5 inches you will need to maintain appropraite towning speeds, and the higher the tongue the lower the speed. When the tongue is pulled at a rasied angle the trailer has a tendency to wag like a dogs tail & the faster you go the faster you wag. Again this is due to the math, thata decreased tongue weight percentage will cause trailer wag.
So for this application (light weight High tongue), if your going short distance (Less then 50 miles) and keep your speed down (55 or less) and there are no high wind conditions you will be fine. :icon_bounceblue:

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would differ with most here bsed on my experences and the math. :icon_twisted:1st the math; If your tongue weight, as with an RV trailer there is a dry weight and dry tounge weight on the vin tag, is 200lbs on a 2000lb trailer (the tngue weight can vary due to center of gravity and axle placement (IE 1425lb dry weight trailer from factory with 175lb tounge weighth dry) as you lift the nose of the trailer more weight is transfered to the axle and the tongue weight drops, and the inverse is true. So if your neutral or level position tongue weight is only 10% of load, then high nose pulling is not a good idea, as is the inverse, if you are near max tongue capacity for your hitch to much nosie down would be bad.
:dunno:2nd the experience, IMO and IME towing just below level is ideal, provides for proper % of tongue weight to be applied yet does not over burden the hitch. However, just above is no a problem either. But once you start to exceed about 1 inch to 1.5 inches you will need to maintain appropraite towning speeds, and the higher the tongue the lower the speed. When the tongue is pulled at a rasied angle the trailer has a tendency to wag like a dogs tail & the faster you go the faster you wag. Again this is due to the math, thata decreased tongue weight percentage will cause trailer wag.
So for this application (light weight High tongue), if your going short distance (Less then 50 miles) and keep your speed down (55 or less) and there are no high wind conditions you will be fine. :icon_bounceblue:
+1 basically what I wanted to say ...just didn't want to type it. Personally I prefer about 1" high over 1" low but now we are splitting hairs. How you load your trailer has alot to do with it as well as axle placement in relation to overall length of trailer. We could spend days on this.....

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
We could spend days on this.....
Are you kidding.........The right (or wrong depending on your view) people and we could spend years.
The biggest thing I wanted to get across is that hauling a trailer incorrectly can cause very bad things to happen, and if your not extremely comfortable with how and what your towing, then the best thing to do is TAKE IT SLOW and give yourself time to react.

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Are you kidding.........The right (or wrong depending on your view) people and we could spend years.
The biggest thing I wanted to get across is that hauling a trailer incorrectly can cause very bad things to happen, and if your not extremely comfortable with how and what your towing, then the best thing to do is TAKE IT SLOW and give yourself time to react.
agree

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals