• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 Explorer axle easy swap done, but I want lift.

Leonates

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys, long time lurker here on the ranger forums. I am currently in the midst of doing a 5.0 V8 swap out of a 1999 Ford Explorer Limited 2WD into my 1989 Ford Ranger 2WD which used to have the 2.9. I am also swapping over the 8.8 rear axle and have so far installed it the easy way without welding as described in the tech article. However, this drop is a bit much for me and I would like to return it to stock ride height if not an inch or two higher. Is lift possible with the easy method? Looking at the current under axle leaf mounting situation, add a leaf and blocks would only lower the truck further correct? So are my only options shackles? Should i just bite the bullet and go get new new perches welded on and get the lift by going that route? I feel like buying new perches and welding and all that is kind of expensive for the budget"ish" build that I'm doing.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Blocks with springs under the axle will lower it more. Add a leaf and shackles will lift it some. There is a bolt on flip kit that will put the springs on top of the axle without any welding. I don't have any experience with this but you would be back to stock height, then a set of shackles will get you another inch or so.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Perches, u-bolts and u-bolt plates all need replaced. All for 3.25" axle tube. It's the way to do it correctly and also gives you the chance to get the angles right.

I would use the Ranger axle until you get the parts together. Lots of 7.5s have held up to V8s over the last 30 years.

You can learn to use a cheap $80 110v stick welder in an hour. It's easy welding, what you need to do to mount the perches. Plus you will need to weld on shock mounts as the Explorer mounts are part of the spring plate. Endless uses for that little welder.

Leonates

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the quick responses and options. Sounds like the correct way is going to be to get the Ruff Stuff Ford 8.8 Rear Axle Simple Swap perches and plates and do pinion angle to get it zeroed in. Then wait till I have the money to get it welded in proper. It's not my daily, so the ranger will have to sit. On another note, anybody in San Antonio know of a good machine shop or welder that can help me out with these perches and such?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals