• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittant power loss / no acceleration

SolidSnake84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys - i've never posted a question on here dealing with Explorers, so this is my first one. My wife's explorer is a 1998, 4.0 SOHC, has 165,000 miles. We have had this car about 5 years and it has been great, 4X4 works, has been very dependable and reliable - the only thing i've had to do to it other than normal maintenance is put a new fuel pump in last summer.

I first started having trouble with it about 2 weeks ago. The truck always starts up fine cold or hot. Sometimes, the idle when cold will go into "hunt mode", meaning it revs up to about 1000, then drops to 500, stumbles, then goes up to 1000 for a few cycles until it gets warm and then it idles smooth.

I noticed last week, that it will intermittently have no power, meaning, that i can floor the gas, but the truck accelerates VERY Slowly....it almost feels like a rev limiter or something is kicking on because the motor is not capable of getting beyond 2,000 RPMS. Then, like nothing it "snaps out of it" and will throw you back in your seat so hard it feels like you've been rear-ended. It has done this 2 times so far in the past week. It only occurs for a couple of seconds, and then it's over. The truck will run perfect for however far your going.

I am not getting any codes (check engine light could be blown or disabled by previous owner), and when it is "running bad" i do not smell any excess fuel, or notice anything strange. Here is what I have done to try and remedy the problem, with no change: New plugs, new wires, new coil packs. Did an upper induction service with BG machine, also removed and cleaned IAC valve (it didn't look bad or full of carbon), cleaned MAF sensor (it was a little dirty but didn't look bad). Getting better MPG now for sure, but still no change in "surging problem". Have not yet replaced O2 sensors, I do not know how much of a difference they really make, or if they could be my problem..... Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trans codes?

SolidSnake84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Some people have suggested to me the transmission has went bad.

I GUESS it's possible, but it seems strange to me that 99% of the time the transmission shifts smooth, no problems. Fluid is of good quality and has been regularly changed, at last change no shavings or anything were in pan.

it's just so hard to describe what is happening without being in the vehicle. You can floor the pedal and it only moves slowly.....once it got all the way up to 55 mph, while continuing to accelerate slowly....the transmission is shifting during these spells....

It will also go days without doing it, so i am sort of at a loss......

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is strange. I would start with the mass air flow. See if its dirty. It could give you an intermittent problem. Also check speed sensors. Do you have a scanner you can look at for live data

SolidSnake84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My Dad has one of those computer type deals that gives live data - while engine is running, etc.. Will check MAF sensor again - what is your thoughts on if the O2 sensors are bad? Could they make it run intermittantly bad? My whole life i've felt that the O2 sensors are no big deal and don't make that much of a difference, but that way of thinking may be wrong....

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
O2 sensors measure the oxygen in the exhaust. It determines if it is to lean or to rich. If it is to rich then the pcm adjusts the injector pulse. If lean it'll do the same. Rich equals less length open lean equals more time open.

From my experience o2 sensors can make you have bad mpgs or can make your performance slightly poor. Never making it not go past a certain rpm. My bet is on that mass air.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals