• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Steering Leak.

98DailyDriver_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Fix it small now or big and expensive later.
Hey everybody, first time poster. I did some digging on here before I posted to try to avoid a duplicate topic but I didn't see exactly what I was looking for, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat. I recently acquired a 1998 Ranger XLT 4x4. It's a higher mileage truck (210,xxx) but it's very clean. No rust, no leaks, doesn't burn oil, etc. The other day I noticed a small stain under the driver side lower A-arm, figured after the brake lines Id replaced maybe I had a loose fitting but all was well. While swapping the PS fluid out (it was a tad burnt) I noticed the level was low, and I had just topped it off a few days earlier while I was changing out all of the other fluids and checking things over. I ran down the lines from the PS pump down to the Rack & Pinion and back up as well as the lines from the Rack & Pinion over to the cooler and back. All was dry and clean. The Rack & Pinion is wet on the driver side though as well as where the lower A-arm connects to the supports. Anyone know of where the fluid might be coming out, and if so is it an easy fix. I'll keep up the hunt but I thought I'd see if someone else maybe ran into this same thing before. (P.S. - apologies for the long winded post. I tend to over explain things I'm told.)

BreadPigeon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a power steering leak on my ranger. The hose no longer was sitting correctly in the power steering gear box.

So mine was leaking near that metal bracket on the right. Quick replace and it solved it.

ItemNumber Description
1/ Power steering pump
2/ Power steering return hose
3/ Hose, power steering pump-to-booster
4/ — Hydro-boost assembly
5/ Hose, booster-to-steering gear
6/ Steering gear
7/ Power steering return hose
8/ Power steering return hose
9/ Power steering fluid cooler

The diagram isn't exact, but just so you can see all the parts involved.

Just something to look at I guess, this may or may not be your leak. Good luck!

98DailyDriver_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Fix it small now or big and expensive later.
Awesome, Thank you! I did get up in there and look around in depth. All the fittings seem to be okay. Judging by where it is wet I think the seal on the driver side has gone out on me. Fortunately enough I have donor vehicle I pulled one from and I'm planning to do shocks, ball joints, tie rods, and torsion bar bushings here soon. I'm not excited for it at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals