• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

donor truck questions, v8 swap

joshtako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979, 1986, 198
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I've wanted for years to swap a v8 into my 86 2.9l 5 speed ranger. and i think i've finally happened upon a quality donor truck for this.

Its a 91 f150 that was rolled, with a 302, 5 speed, 4wd. so this should have pretty much all of the main drivetrain components i would need, right? and it would have a wiring harness.

is there anything big here that im not really seeing? or that would make this not quite work? any advice or comments would be appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
F150 302 intake won't fit under the hood of a Ranger, it sticks up probably 10" above distributor cap
'91 trans has the shifter about 6" farther forward than ranger so it will hit the dash, but you can custom bend the shifter and of course cut a new hole.

Since a lot of the engine wiring is on the intake, not sure what the best swap would be for that, explorer intake would fit but wiring probably wouldn't match up.
Since it is a manual trans and distributor spark, a carb setup would be an option but IMO not a great choice, so no computer needed

Last edited:

joshtako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979, 1986, 198
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
F150 302 intake won't fit under the hood of a Ranger, it sticks up probably 10" above distributor cap
'91 trans has the shifter about 6" farther forward than ranger so it will hit the dash, but you can custom bend the shifter and of course cut a new hole.

Since a lot of the engine wiring is on the intake, not sure what the best swap would be for that, explorer intake would fit but wiring probably wouldn't match up.
Since it is a manual trans and distributor spark, a carb setup would be an option but IMO not a great choice, so no computer needed
is there any way to make the intake fit? such as some body lift? or is there just too much to overcome in this way? the shifter issue sounds workable though.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2009/explorer_v8_swap.shtml

In the second picture you see the 302(5.0l) in the explorer, intake is same height as distributor, throttle linkage adds a 2" as the highest spot
That's the way it will sit in Ranger without body lift.

Farther down you will see that engine installed in a Ranger with 3" body lift.

There is some room at the top, but is it enough for a '91 302 intake???
Don't know, you would need to measure actual height of complete intake

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is there any way to make the intake fit? such as some body lift? or is there just too much to overcome in this way? the shifter issue sounds workable though.
I paid $60 for an Explorer intake with the TB at U Pull It. :secret:

They are a cast aluminum version of a Cobra intake and flow about as good as anything out there. I don't have a home for it but it was in perfect shape, the right year (as far as EGR goes for older EFI systems) and already pulled and laying on the ground... too good to pass up. :bawling:

With a body lift and a heck of a cowl induction hood you might clear your F-150 intake... they were hardly a barn burning engine in a F-150 though.

You can make your shifter hole bigger, I know guys that have done it but having a hole from the firewall to the front of the seat has to weaken the cab.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals