• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine swap questions

meck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 extended c
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm still trying to figure out ahead of time what problems I'm going to have swapping a '97 3.0 engine/tran into my '94 2.3L Ranger. I'm not doing this for speed or such, just to replace a very tired engine. I'm wondering what problems I'll run into putting an OBD-II engine/tran into an OBD-I Ranger. If anyone knows of a thread about this or can give me some advice, I'll appreciate it. (I have the entire '97 donor truck).

Evguy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think you will be shocked at the fuel consumption of the 3L.
Go for a TDI diesel swap and have good power and much better fuel mileage.
There are a number of build treads on this forum about the TDI swap.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A TDI swap would really be a hassle.

The 3.0 should average 20ish, if youre not Bo Duke.

Youll need a trans and motor mounts for sure, possibly a radiator. (Not sure if the 2.3 ran a different one).

As for the wireing, i would think you should be able to just pull the entire harness and swap over, but the cluster might be an issue. Since 94 was the last year of the circa 89 dash.

meck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 extended c
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the positive reply. After going over the wiring diagrams for the two years, I'm thinking the swap is very doable. I haven't checked yet to see if the split vss/speedo drive on the '94 will fit the vss only drive on the '97 trans. If it will, then the '94's speedo will work. If not, I'll swap in just the '97 speedo as the rest of the gauges seem to work the same.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a shot. And the gas mileage of 20+ sounds fine to me.

Thanks again.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Youll need to use the 97s transmission. A 2.3 trans wont bolt behind a 3.0

EDIT

I read that wrong. Yeah, i have no idea about the VSS. Did the 97 have the key anti theft? (PATS)? That may also be an issue.

meck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 extended c
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No PATS on the '97. Nothing else fancy, either. And, yes, I have the '97 engine and transmission. The donor truck has a new radiator, so it will definitely be swapped. The steering columns are different, so I'm getting a '94 one for an automatic from a junkyard. Will rebuild it, if needed, before installing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yes, the swap is possible with donor vehicle

You will need to remove the 2.3l engine and trans
Remove the cross brace for the 2.3l's engine mount
3.0l engine mount holes should be pre-drilled but can't say for sure
Trans mount should be the same

The 2 Fuel lines should be long enough but may have different ends, one is IN from Pump, the other is OUT to gas tank, don't mix up the 2, lol.

ODBII in 1997 is just for engine operation and trans if automatic
You will need the 3.0l exhaust system swapped over and it will have the 3rd O2 sensor used with OBDII

As said engine and trans needs to be swapped and drive shaft most likely
Most engine bay parts like air cleaning MAF setup
EVAP system may need to be changed

1997 still used VSS on trans or transfer case so not an issue, you can swap over the 1994 speedo cable/VSS unit to use in the 3.0l trans, it will also match current rear axle ratio.

In 1997 the VSS signal ran to GEM, Computer, speedometer and Cruise(if so equipped)
You won't need the GEM since 1997 used transmission VSS but you do need to make sure VSS is connected to pin 58 on Computer, it should be already, but just double check

The dash gauges are all the same, analog, fuel, oil, and temp
If you have a tach that may need to be changed to read correctly.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
yes, the swap is possible with donor vehicle

You will need to remove the 2.3l engine and trans
Remove the cross brace for the 2.3l's engine mount
3.0l engine mount holes should be pre-drilled but can't say for sure
Trans mount should be the same

The 2 Fuel lines should be long enough but may have different ends, one is IN from Pump, the other is OUT to gas tank, don't mix up the 2, lol.

ODBII in 1997 is just for engine operation and trans if automatic
You will need the 3.0l exhaust system swapped over and it will have the 3rd O2 sensor used with OBDII

As said engine and trans needs to be swapped and drive shaft most likely
Most engine bay parts like air cleaning MAF setup
EVAP system may need to be changed

1997 still used VSS on trans or transfer case so not an issue, you can swap over the 1994 speedo cable/VSS unit to use in the 3.0l trans, it will also match current rear axle ratio.

In 1997 the VSS signal ran to GEM, Computer, speedometer and Cruise(if so equipped)
You won't need the GEM since 1997 used transmission VSS but you do need to make sure VSS is connected to pin 58 on Computer, it should be already, but just double check

The dash gauges are all the same, analog, fuel, oil, and temp
If you have a tach that may need to be changed to read correctly.
It took me 3 years, and like you've been studying for years finally in the end I just got another truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I agree

2.3l to 3.0l swap is not an upgrade and not simple

Selling the 3.0l to some one that needs a 3.0l and then rebuilding the 2.3l would be by far a better investment in time and money, but OP must have his reasons to want to do it.
But its not because it makes sense, because there is no "upside"

meck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 extended c
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Some good tips in there RodD. Thanks.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yes, I agree

2.3l to 3.0l swap is not an upgrade and not simple

Selling the 3.0l to some one that needs a 3.0l and then rebuilding the 2.3l would be by far a better investment in time and money, but OP must have his reasons to want to do it.
But its not because it makes sense, because there is no "upside"
Why isnt it an upgrade? The 3.0 makes considerably more power then a 2.3, hes already got the parts, and the 2.3 is shot anyways. Why spend money rebuilding a 4 popper thwt makes 88 or so HP when with a little homework you can have an engine thats just as reliable, and makes ~50hp or so more and 65 or so more FtLbs.

Plus, its not like hes trying to swap in a 3.3L from a caravan or something, the truck is engineered to accept that engine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why isnt it an upgrade? The 3.0 makes considerably more power then a 2.3, hes already got the parts, and the 2.3 is shot anyways. Why spend money rebuilding a 4 popper thwt makes 88 or so HP when with a little homework you can have an engine thats just as reliable, and makes ~50hp or so more and 65 or so more FtLbs.

Plus, its not like hes trying to swap in a 3.3L from a caravan or something, the truck is engineered to accept that engine.
Used or rebuilt 2.3l will get better MPG than 3.0l, which was the point of the 4cyl engines, and it is plug and play, same engine.
3.0l Vulcan had the nick name of 3.slow, enough said :)

Installing a different size engine is basically the same work regardless of the engine size.
And because VIN no longer matches engine size it may get tagged with a Salvaged title when registering it, depends on state.

If more power was the goal, not MPG, then 5.0l V8 from Explorer would be the choice, not 3.0l or even 4.0l.
Ranger can fit the 5.0l explorer V8 because they are basically the same engine bay, yes it is tight but exactly the same work is required to install the 5.0l as the 3.0l or 4.0l when it comes down to it.
And a V8 is an upgrade, for 2.3l Ranger, or 3.0l or 4.0l Ranger for that matter, lol.

If you already have a donor 3.0l then sell it to someone that needs a 3.0l engine and/or trans and other parts from a 3.0l Ranger
Then find a 5.0l Explorer with bad body

Or sell the 2.3l Ranger and buy a 3.0l Ranger with good body and bad engine and/or trans and use the current donor for that.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I mean, obviously yes, a 302 is better, and besides a 2.8 the 3.0 is the weakest 6 they used in the ranger...

But, it still beats the hell out of a lima.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And because VIN no longer matches engine size it may get tagged with a Salvaged title when registering it, depends on state.
FWIW I have never heard anyone on here have to go thru that. Can be some hoops to jump thru for emissions if they care about that in your area.

I mean, obviously yes, a 302 is better, and besides a 2.8 the 3.0 is the weakest 6 they used in the ranger...

But, it still beats the hell out of a lima.
You can get a lot of time/effort/parts in a stupid power train swap. I wouldn't do it for anything smaller than a 4.0... and it would take a lot of soul searching to do that over a 5.0.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I feel like hell has frozen as i sit here typing in defense of a 3.0...but...

Yes, a 4.0 would make more sense, but not as much as a 302, but then again a 351 also works, but hell, since im changing shit anyways might as well go for a 460....

Not everyone rides that train of thought.

He already has the 3.0 donor, and at the end of the day its his truck, money, time and choice. Hes obviously not really dojng this for MPG, prolly not really for power either, he just wants to get his truck back on the road, and i respect that. I take all kinds of shit for my automotive descion making (like when i passed up powerchokes for a good ol 460 for towing my camper), but, the difference in opinion is what makes the world spin.

Personally, ida went with a 2.9

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals