• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbag recall (takata)

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dropping off my 2010 at the dealership on 7/30/18 for the appointment I made a while back. This is for the passenger side. I've had an intermittent airbag light. Maybe just a coincidence, but it seems it's on more since warmer weather arrived here in central Ohio.

Either way, I wanted to know if anyone else has had the work done yet...what do they do ? As in, are they replacing the airbag itself ? Module behind the dash/console ?

Wishful thinking , as past experience shows I'm NEVER so lucky, lol. Whenever I drive with no passenger, the "Passenger Airbag Off" light never illuminates.

Think they'll charge to diagnose ? Any chance it solves the issue ?

I'll report back on this regardless...Thanks !

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just had my 09 done a few weeks ago. All they replace is the inflater in the dash, not the entire airbag. Fairly straightforward job. BUT This part will have zero to do with your airbag light issue so they will absolutely charge you for diagnostic and repair. I know it sucks but the recall and your issue are 100% unrelated. Sounds to me like you have an issue with the sensor system under the passenger seat.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know the specifics of the Ranger, but a few years ago I worked on an 06 F-150 with exactly the symptom you describe and was told by Ford technical hotline that it is normal operation.

The way they explained it is that the PAD light illuminates when there is a problem that would keep the passenger airbag from deploying AND enough weight to enable the system is detected in the seat. The idea of doing it that way, as explained to me, was to save hours on the PAD light's bulb by not having the light on when there is not enough weight in the seat to enable the system.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My understanding was it detected a weight over certain pounds in case you had a rear facing child seat so it shut off for a baby. Over x pounds it knew an adult was in the vehicle and turned on the airbag. If I put a heavy tool bag on my passenger seat it turns the "airbag off" light off and thinks I have an adult in the seat. If I drive with my kid in her carseat it wont turn on because the airbag is more dangerous for her. A airbag hitting a baby is deadly.

Last edited:

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same thing as Dirtman, result I expected lol. The work was done promptly. Received a call from the SA, $105 diagnostic. I of course declined, as I'm gifted in ..."throwing parts at it" (term we used when I wrote service at Chrysler in the '90s, many entertaining stories lol)

Thinking of looking for the "pad sensor" in the passenger seat and throwing a part at it (?) . Don't believe anyone but the Ford dealer has the capability/diagnostic

equipment to diagnose. Based on my dealership experience, no way they would stand behind a diagnosis without them doing the repair work and I totally understand their liability...

Not deeply concerned about a system fault, yet I'm kind of a stickler for having things correct on newer cars. Don't give a crap about the airbag light in the 1990 mustang Lx.

Adsm, Dirtman, greatly appreciate the advice (looks like the E series and many others use the same SRS circuitry. Please opine all. May have to look at moving the topic, may help others. Kind of in uncharted territory with a 2010. Doesn't appear there is any "flash" feature to identify codes.

Dagummit ! Sumbitches

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is a sensor in the seat belt bucke that is also tied into the whole pad system as well. The "airbag off" light only activates if the belt is buckled and there is not enough weight in the seat. Unbuckle the seatbelt and the light should never come on. (I keep my passengers seat buckled because otherwise it rattles against my door) so my "airbag off" light is always on.

But you are correct not many "cheap" scanners pull airbag codes. Don't get me wrong there are ones that will besides the ford dealer but they arent cheap. I'll go check to see if my bluedriver does but I highly doubt it.

Edit... well slap me silly, the bluedriver does check airbag and srs codes. Might be worth picking one up to see if there's a stored code from the airbag light being on. Even if it went away there should still be a stored code.

Last edited:

fred m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
12.5 cups
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you don't have a scanner that reads airbag codes, you might look into FORScan. It can't do everything that the dealer can, but it seems to be pretty darn close. I've never used it with my ranger, but it pulls airbag codes on other Fords of the same era. Plus, its free! Not the most user-friendly, though

Also, as others have mentioned, I don't think the airbag off light will necessarily be on when the airbag is in fact disabled. In my Explorer, it has something to do with both the amt of weight in the seat, and whether the belt is fastened. Mine is never lit up when nobody is in the seat.

greg2u4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
article: "Texans Warned "Do Not Drive" 2006 Ford Ranger, Mazda B-Series"

I don't know how much this recent news story relates to this thread or why it's focused on Texas owners., but good to be aware of it if you have a 2006 model:

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/05/07/texans-do-not-drive-ford-ranger-mazda-b-series/

excerpt: "WASHINGTON, D.C. (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – The U.S. Department of Transportation is urging vehicle owners in Texas and several other states with defective Takata air bags to seek repairs immediately.

The agency singled out Ford Rangers and Mazda B-Series trucks from 2006, which are under a “do not drive” warning. . . ."

neutronranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Why aren't 2001 Ford Rangers included in the Ford/Takata air bag recall?

I typed my VIN into this webpage and it said, "There are currently no field service actions listed for your vehicle."

https://owner.ford.com/service/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-takata-airbag-inflator-recalls.html
It depends on a lot of factors but the only Ford Rangers in the recall are the ones that are subject to the issues addressed in the lawsuit. My 2011 isn't part of the recall either.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

neutronranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Because your passenger airbag doesn't blow up in peoples' faces for no reason at all.
\
Any idea what Ranger model years have the problem?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Before the recall Ford service manuals called the "inflator" they're replacing the "ignitor". Ignitor sounded too dangerous.
We has a "customer"( bought and serviced car elsewhere, came to us for warranty only) who was mad that his airbag light repair wasn't covered and we couldn't tell him that until we diaged it. There was a can of deodorant stuck under the passengers seat track preventing the occupant sensor from working. My point: look around before you spend money, sometimes it's worth it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Before the recall Ford service manuals called the "inflator" they're replacing the "ignitor". Ignitor sounded too dangerous.
We has a "customer"( bought and serviced car elsewhere, came to us for warranty only) who was mad that his airbag light repair wasn't covered and we couldn't tell him that until we diaged it. There was a can of deodorant stuck under the passengers seat track preventing the occupant sensor from working. My point: look around before you spend money, sometimes it's worth it.
I had one of those once. It was extremely intermittent and it took my 6 months to find the lipstick in the seat track.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals