• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken fuel lines Need some Help

CountryBoy78

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Guys I need some help and advice on this problem.
I got a 94 Limited Exploder, I am replacing the fuel pump. The sending unit rusted out and leaks all over the damn place.

Well I got it all unhooked and the tank is out, well guess what the rusted sending lines broke off when I disconneted them from the sending unit.

I took the gator clips ( or whatever they are called) out , sprayed PB blaster and clean all the gunk out of the fitting. Hook a needle nose pliers on what was left of the sending unit lines and the damn things still don't come out. I don't have much to grab onto and pretty soon I won't be able to grab on them at all.
Any ideas what to do now???
Can the stainless steel lines be cut and have new fittings crimped on? I know they are pressurized lines but damn if I can get those old rusty lines out.

I am pretty sure if I got to get different fuel lines that will be next to impossible.....I found a fuel tank at the salvage yard because the metal ring on mine is not usable any more on my old tank....damn this truck is rusty.........good old Wisconsin rust:thefinger:
Thanks for any help I can get.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
you can cut the metal lines and repair them with a piece of flexible. They will not see much more than sixty pounds of pressure. The water pipes in your house see more pressure than that.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had to cut my tranny line and I rented a flare tool from auto zone which worked fine. But my fuel line has rubber hose on some of it I guess where the guy before didn't want to mess with running a new line, it works fine. did you try channel locks? had to use them on a brake line once.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Pick up some EFI high pressure hose. I think it's good up to about 100 psi. Make sure to use EFI clamps. The regular ones just won't cut it. My 3.0 idled at about 59psi with the fuel pressure guage hooked up.

On my 72 F series I've got a hard line running from the pump hacked and a soft line into the carb. Never had a problem, but of course that's low pressure.

On my 00 Ranger when I swapped to a 33 gal tank I was able to piece it back together with parts from Advanced Autos. Some fuel line cut/extension kit but for the hard plastic lines.

CountryBoy78

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey thanks for the ideas guys. I have a screw extractor kit that I am going to try before I cut or break the stainless steel lines:icon_surprised:

I did find online fuel line fitting repair kits but it looked like they were for nylon fuel lines.....so if go that route will they work?

I did think about using the efi rubber fuel line and high pressure clamps but not sure how well that would hold up attached to the stainless steel lines.

Thanks again guys and I will keep you posted on what happens.

CountryBoy78

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys just to let you know I got the rusted sending unit lines out. I used a screw extractor. I kept on twisting to break the o-riing seal and pulled them out with a needle nose pliers.:yahoo:
I guess it was brains over brawn that won that battle. Tomarrow's project is to finish installing the fuel pump and get the old girl up and running with no leaks.
Thanks again for the tips and ideas.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good job, persistence wins the day!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals