• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 Focus fluid change

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Took the Focus for its oil change today and my local dealership listed the transmission fluid and coolant as needing immediate attention. Looks like the 60,000 mile service on the transmission was skipped and I now have 98,000 miles.

I do not want to get a back flush because EVERY transmission I have done this too has failed nearly immediately. What I am considering doing is putting a Bucket under the high pressure hose going to the cooler and using the starter to pump out the fluid then adding new fluid until it runs clean, then dropping the pan and changing the filter. I know this worked on my brother's Tundra when his transmission cooler split and dumped coolant into the transmission with out causing later transmission problems on his 200,000 mile pick up.

I also need to flush the coolant, this I have never done. Need to know how to do it.

Edit: I know how to drain and fill the radiator, I want to completely flush the cooling system. I understand the part about running water through the radiator until it runs clear... What I don't understand is how to get the mix right with clean water sitting in the heater core and engine.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As far as the rad fluid, I would buy a cheap tester and after guesstimating the fluid amount added, test it to confirm.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
As far as the rad fluid, I would buy a cheap tester and after guesstimating the fluid amount added, test it to confirm.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately my wife took it to our Ford dealership to get the transmission and radiator flushed while I was sick... Since I'm a premium customer (whatever that means) the did the service 40% off

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
"Premium Customer" usually means you service one or more vehicles with them regularly. It's something a lot of dealerships will do for good customers, but it isn't a Ford thing, it's at the dealer's discretion.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I also need to flush the coolant, this I have never done. Need to know how to do it.
>Get a T fitting w/clamps & install on heater hose (I believe it's the one w/ water direction towards the firewall).
>Buckets to catch overflow.
>Garden hose hooked to T fitting.
>Start car & remove rad cap, run till clear.
In hindsight, start w/ warm engine, let cool off & drain the radiator first-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals