• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Benz om617

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Hello ranger station,

I'm about to start a conversion on a 1991 ford ranger originally a 2.9 auto 4x4 and I'm converting it a five cylinder Mercedes turbo diesel with a five speed manual transmission and transfer case.

I'm in need of some measurements due to the clutch like distance from the block face to the front of the flywheel wear plate (sorry for my terminology) so I can machine adapter plates to the proper thickness and so the release bearing has its proper location if anyone has that information would be awesome

Attachments

seebeexee

Reaction score
Hello ranger station,

I'm about to start a conversion on a 1991 ford ranger originally a 2.9 auto 4x4 and I'm converting it a five cylinder Mercedes turbo diesel with a five speed manual transmission and transfer case.

I'm in need of some measurements due to the clutch like distance from the block face to the front of the flywheel wear plate (sorry for my terminology) so I can machine adapter plates to the proper thickness and so the release bearing has its proper location if anyone has that information would be awesome
I can't answer your question, but I'd like to say kudos on an interesting project. The OM617 into a Ranger has been on my list of ideas to do for a long time.

I've had a lot of vehicles, but my favorites have been my '88 Ranger with a 2.9L V6 and my '84 Mercedes 300SD 3.0L 5-cylinder turbo diesel. My Mercedes is my daily driver, and the engine has 337K miles on it and the engine hasn't been rebuilt. I get 29 MPG, too.

Anyway, I'll be following this thread closely. If you need measurements or info about the OM617, feel free to ask me. Sorry I can't help with the original question.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, no help here.

I just reused the Benz auto trans and went to 2wd, later I will do a divorced transfer case and a solid front axle swap

Subscribed!

Last edited:

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't answer your question, but I'd like to say kudos on an interesting project. The OM617 into a Ranger has been on my list of ideas to do for a long time.

I've had a lot of vehicles, but my favorites have been my '88 Ranger with a 2.9L V6 and my '84 Mercedes 300SD 3.0L 5-cylinder turbo diesel. My Mercedes is my daily driver, and the engine has 337K miles on it and the engine hasn't been rebuilt. I get 29 MPG, too.

Anyway, I'll be following this thread closely. If you need measurements or info about the OM617, feel free to ask me. Sorry I can't help with the original question.
I had a 82 300d, loved it.

Deleted the waste gate, racked the pump A little And deleted the emissions. Got 35mpg and it would run like hell. Awesome power. Can't wait to get the ranger back up and running with it. :)

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
To the guy whose done this before how well did the motor fit in fairly easy or was there much modifying involved? I'm just curious and excited so any input I can get ill take someone else's mistakes is gold so you know what not too do... My car blew up a month ago so I've been riding my motorcycle but I'm Canadian so winter is comin fast need to do it properly but quickly.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine went into a 2000 with rack and pinion steering. Had to drop it 2 inches to fit the sump. Other then that it was close but made it

Beings yours is so old it should have a pitman arm. You will more then likely have to get a dropped pitman arm to clear the sump.

I reused the Benz rad to keep the trans and oil cooler but since your going to a manual you can do what you wish.

Clearance is tight. Get a electric push pull fan and it had to mount behind the grill vs In front of the motor.

Remember its vacuum shut off. So you have to get a Solenoid to make it electric shut off.

It has a built in lift pump so you can take the fuel pump out of the tank and run a dip tube and leave the fuel gauge sender.

On the right side of the motor bottom front there is a little white thing. It unscrews and you can prime the fuel.

Other problem is oil filter location. There is a rod the goes down through the filter and interferes with my wiper motor so I have to shorten it up.

And if you have a 7.5 axle I would run it easy for awhile. If you leave the motor stock I think you would be fine. Modify it would probably destroy it pretty quick

Last edited:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated I work in a full machine fabrication shop doing mostly custom work witch will be a great advantage

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Any way I can help!

I to am a metal worker of sorts.
Ultra precision machining

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
That's cool man I'm a level two machine apprentice

Last edited:

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a level one machinist.

But I make laser optics, nothing to do with conventional machining. Tolerances in the micron level.

I am subscribed to this thread

fte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I was going to do a OM617 in my Ranger using the benz 240 stick flywheel and the Ranger 5spd. Wouldn't work because the bell is too small to fit the benz flywheel, and if you are planning on adapting the Ranger flywheel to the benz, that won't work due to the smaller diameter, the starter can't get any closer to the block to work. So you will need to think of another trans with a larger bell or a different motor, I went with a different motor.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was gonna do a 5 speed unimog trans.

I found one with the inline 5 flywheel. Should have jumped on it.

As far as I know the 240 fly wheel will bolt up but it is different then the correct 300 wheel

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Just gonna make a custom bell housing full custom shop we do lots of weird stuff know one else will touch really lucky to work here

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I also have the clutch and flywheel from the benz

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Have the motor and transmission transfer case in the back of the Chevy dd going to the machine shop Tomorrow to begin the process the anticipation is killing me just need to get into it. Don't know about the rest of you guys but everytime I see the bell housings on these trucks just makes you wanna laugh but I guess it's not the size that matters it's how you use it.... Post pictures after I make some actual progress.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals