• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cam Syncro / firing order questions

Nightbiker07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
OK. SO. I ditched the stock explorer cam and went with a comp cams xtreme energy cam. The cam is 4 degrees advanced, and when using the cam sync tool, the syncro is pointed slightly off to the passenger side when it is lined up (as opposed to straight ahead with a stock cam).

This would mean that the computer is seeing the cam at zero degrees, when in fact the cam is already moving valve train parts. Would I simply leave it like this, or do I have to manually advance the syncro so the PCM is in sync with the cam? Or would that be dealt with in the SCT tuning work that has been done?

Second half of the question. This cam was listed on Comp Cams website as a good H.O. Replacement cam. I have heard the H.O. uses a different firing order than the standard explorer engine. Would the firing order also be changed with the tune, or would I have to manually swap plug wires around on the coil packs and injectors?
I have never been quite clear on how the same crank can have two different firing orders by just changing the cam

Last edited:

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
All i can help with is that the xplorer does in fact use the h.o. firing order.

there are really only a few firing orders for a cross plane crankshaft v8. Fun fact, the small block chevy, when corrected for the differences, uses the same firing order as the 302HO&351W.

I assume there is some type of proper way to install and sync the cam sensor, there's no way you can just drop it in and call it good with where it falls. I'd suggest looking that up.

edit: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/camshaft-position-sensor-replacement-a-bit-of-discussion.89670/

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Crank rotates TWO full turns for each one full turn of Cam, that is what makes it a 4-stroke engine, 4 strokes of a piston is needed for 1 complete cycle, which means crank rotates twice and Cam rotates once

In a multi-cylinder engine two pistons are at TDC(top dead center) at the same time, this balances the engine, the Cam/valves decide which cylinder is on compression stroke or exhaust stroke TDC
So firing order can be changed by changing the Cam/valve timing but only between those two cylinders that share TDC

302 firing order
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

If you split this and put 1 below the other
1-5-4-2-
6-3-7-8
You now have the match pairs that share TDC
1 and 6
5 and 3
4 and 7
2 and 8

HO firing order
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

1-3-7-2-
6-5-4-8

1 and 6
3 and 5
7 and 4
2 and 8

You can see 3 and 5 are reversed in the order and 7 and 4

This is because the Cam was changed to open these valves in a different order
No change to the matched pairs so crank is the same

Putting in a Cam with longer open time for the valves doesn't change the firing order

Last edited:

Nightbiker07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
You now have the match pairs that share TDC
1 and 6
5 and 3
4 and 7
2 and 8
This is the part I wasnt grasping, I was thinking every cylinder came to TDC at a different time. Since two cylinders share TDC, it makes perfect sense how they could be reversed :beer:

Nightbiker07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
All i can help with is that the xplorer does in fact use the h.o. firing order.

there are really only a few firing orders for a cross plane crankshaft v8. Fun fact, the small block chevy, when corrected for the differences, uses the same firing order as the 302HO&351W.

I assume there is some type of proper way to install and sync the cam sensor, there's no way you can just drop it in and call it good with where it falls. I'd suggest looking that up.

edit: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/camshaft-position-sensor-replacement-a-bit-of-discussion.89670/
cam sync is installed according to the directions using the alignment tool. With the stock cam, the sync points straight forward, with this cam, it is slightly pointed to the side a couple degrees. I assume this is due to the cam being advanced 4 degrees over a stock cam.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals