• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2005 4.0L Edge 4x4 Swap

MAV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm about to start a swap project, and I'm trying to nail down the best year Explorer to get as a donor. I understand the main hurdles are fuel systems, speedo/tach/OSS/VSS BS, and PATS. I'm going to have to deal with all of them, but simplifying one, two, or all of them is my goal.

I have the oddball 2005 Ranger that does not have PATS. I've read that trying to swap a 98+ is going to be a problem because even if I use the column from the Ex, the Ranger doesn't have the wiring for the PATS computer. I've also read that the SCT x4 tuner can turn off PATS, that the PCM can be sent to a custom tuner that can turn off PATS, and that there may even be something as easy as using the new Forscan tool to do it. Can someone shed some light on any of those options? Because...

If I can eliminate PATS from a 99+ Ex, then the fuel system problem just got a whole lot easier to deal with because I can simply use the existing returnless Ranger system with the 99+ 5.0L system.

Finally, I'm reading good things on here about the Dakota Digital SGI-5E module to graft into the VSS from the rear axle. Not that it matters, but I've already got an Explorer rear-axle in the truck (disc brakes = awesome!), and it's been working fine with the existing modules for years. (Linkage)

Much obliged for your input, as the answers to these questions may go a long way to ease or eliminate many of the common problems in late model V8 swaps.

Last edited:

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
PATS will be less of an issue than the instrument cluster and evap system.

Getting the data bus tach and temp gauge to display has not been accomplished in the later clusters to date.

Conventional wisdom is to swap out the cluster with an earlier version along with the wiring changes needed.

Plus, the earlier 5.0 PCM won't recognize the later evap pieces so earlier bits will need to get swapped/wired in as well.

Makes the few changes needed for PATS almost trivial.

Also, as a gotcha, there's an additional wiring plug between the transmission and body under the later Rangers that carry both some transmission and emissions wiring that is outside of the common Ranger 5.0 swap knowledge base.

MAV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, dang. I thought I could get lucky. I'll search for the EVAP stuff and figure that out. But you are saying that PATS can be programmed out of a later model Explorer, is that correct? Also, if worse came to worst, I could surely get the tach and other telemetry from OBD II, right?

Where can I learn more about this extra plug?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals