• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pesky neighbors...

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well here I am about at my last straw... Over the past few months someone (a couple neighbors suspect) keeps littering in my daily driven xlt. Yesterday i found a rag draped over the bed of my truck with fecal matter on it (last straw). I have limited parking so I have to park slightly out of view so I really see my truck from any windows in my house. I want to find a good in car surveillance camera that wont break the bank but will be easy to use and conceal. I don't know much about them and there seems to be alot of different products with mixes reviews. Anyone got any sort of input oh how to catch this little coward without having to sleep inside my truck overnight?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Trail camera would probably be best bet, battery operated, IR night vision, motion activated, stores recorded video on removable card or USB stick.
You wouldn't put this in the truck, although you could, I would put it somewhere out of sight but where it can see the truck.
They can be setup to record only from say 10pm to 6am, and only when there is motion
Most units can be set up to record over earlier video so they never run out of space to record, so if storage disc can record 8hours of video then it will have any incident recorded once you notice the problem.
Remember with motion recording 8 hours of video would be several days.

But there are less expensive units that can be run off car battery, 12volt.
You do want IR and motion detection.
But would need 2 cameras in the cab, to point front and back.

Jeff190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those are really good ideas. Would motion detection have any issues with slightly tinted glass at night? Guessing as long as it has night vision it would be ok?

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
Worst I've ever had was coming out from work to find about 4 full trash bags loaded into the bed of my truck, and the time someone threw their bag of fish they had caught back there. I didn't know about it untill I was walking back to where I parked at Wal-Mart, and the police had been called because someone thought there must be a dead body in someone's trunk from the smell of it. I would always find cans and McDonald's bags. You can't escape stupid people. Bed cover ends this issue. You can get a retractable one if you use the bed a lot.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those are really good ideas. Would motion detection have any issues with slightly tinted glass at night? Guessing as long as it has night vision it would be ok?
The motion detection wouldn't have a problem, the IR LEDs might cause image to wash out if put to close to the tinted glass, you would just have to try it at different distances.
i.e. like using a flash when taking a picture thru a window, infrared(IR) is a "light" you just can't see it, so it will cause reflections.

Desertrunner33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you are tech savvy use a raspberry pi model 3 and an ir camera. You can view live feed on the camera from anywhere and it will cost maybe 50$ total.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I really like the raspberry pi option but for most folks I think the trail camera would work the best it's weatherproof and holds a good amount of video and are easy to hide they strap on to poles or you can lean it over by a bush or something and you can get them from just about anywhere and they prices and quality range quite a bit so good selection and won't break the bank and are reusable. Also if there's a harbor freight close to you they have a camera setup that comes with more than one camera and can store 24 is hours of video I think but it'll be more obvious if they see you out there stringing cameras and wire like Christmas lights

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I'd rig up a clay pigeon thrower (skeet) to fling a nice bag of poop right back at 'em! Worthless Punks! Could also hose them down with some good trapping scent bait!

Either that...or move! I'd be in jail because I couldn't put up with the bs.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'd go with the trail cam idea. Then take care of things, lol

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Ha ha that skeet thrower idea is the best thing I have heard all day

sent while bored

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If ya use it to throw poop wouldn't that make it a scat thrower ?

Hope the trailcam works out - good huntin! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals