• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need a new stereo for the '00 Explorer

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm lost... if it was the Ranger or any of my other vehicles I'd pick up a simple single DIN and be done with it as everything else is simple, this thing is more complicated any why not be fancier?

I have a '00 Explorer with a double DIN hole in the dash, an aftermarket Kenwood that won't even power up (single din, front and rear USB, etc) I checked and it is getting power and ground as well as key on power so it's just dead... I even took it apart and didn't see anything fried, and yes the fuse on the back is good... The EX is a limited but I don't think it has premium sound, there's been an amp connected at some point but all that's left is the wires going to the back seat.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-double DIN
-in dash navigation
-USB and AUX inputs, CD doesn't matter to me
-Android OS would be nice, but am open
-able to work with the steering wheel controls preferred, it looks like the PAC SWI-RC is going to be needed unless I'm mistaken
-Hopefully under $300 but am open...

Search engines don't work anymore and I'm way out of the loop, some Chinese stereos are enticing but don't know if they are ok. The steering wheel controls would be nice to retain but if it is a pain then I guess I can live without it...

Ok, I ended up writing a book again... I appreciate any help!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
argh... everything that does what I want is either at least $500 or Chinese with a bad report... I think I'm going to go with a cheap head unit and the windshield mount GPS (I do have 3)... will probably spend the money on the dealie to get the steering wheel buttons to work...

Thanks for the help

JustPlaneChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
It's not quite in your price range, but I really like the Sony XAV-AX100 I got from Crutchfield and put in my B4000. Since it has Android Auto, you get 'in dash nav' via Google Maps. I even added a backup camera!

Chris B.
Austin, TX
1998 B4000 2wd 5spd

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I ended up ordering THIS radio, with the head unit, backup camera and install kit it was only $216 and it supposedly doesn't need an adapter for the steering wheel buttons which is a plus... I wanted one with a volume knob but I liked the features of this one better...

Being on Prime it should be here Friday, I'll update once it's in and going...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I haven't taken the time get something set up for a photobucket replacement so no pictures but I got the stereo installed yesterday and so far so good! I took the time to do everything as right as I could. Backup camera mounted and working, GPS antenna mounted, phone microphone mounted, USB cables routed to glove box, steering wheel control wire connected... Haven't figured out google maps as a GPS yet, don't think I let it download long enough for the offline map to work...

I'd never heard of Atoto, but it seems decent, the face is very shiny so seeing it with sun glare is difficult but not a huge deal driving around. Installing it in the Explorer dash insert thing took a fair amount of clearancing and no install kit is necessary, I used the brackets and screws that it came with and bent them to go over the insert thing on the sides then put a couple sheet metal screws into the plastic to keep it there. On the other side there's a bunch of buttons for the rear wiper and defrost and whatnot so I couldn't do that, bent the L over to just be a bump, pushed that in from the front and wedged it in good and screwed it to the stereo... There's about 1/4" on each side that's open but it doesn't bother me, if it did I'd use some black silicone and fill the gap...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals