• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I pretty much based it off of Whitetrash96's bumper.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I know, its like I ripped off his ideas, but this is the way I was planning before He had even built his... Either way, he get the credit for building them first, lol.
either way-- its a bada$$ bumper... i like it. that's so the next type bumper i'm gonna build--something closer to the body than mine. but i love mine to :yahoo:

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pretty much based it off of Whitetrash96's bumper.
That was a big influnce on mine as well, i just needed to make it bigger to hide the winch behind it.... I guess it was just the path of least resistance, lol.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
either way-- its a bada$$ bumper... i like it. that's so the next type bumper i'm gonna build--something closer to the body than mine. but i love mine to :yahoo:
Thanks, Man.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went out today and thrashed around at redneck station a bit. Tried like hell to get stuck so I could test out the winch, but the damn thing just bogs right through. The weight of the bumper and winch was just what this thing needed, it evened out everything and now its pretty well balanced. Worked wonders on the flex as well... Not too bad for a cheap CL lift, $15 shocks and skinny track width... And I think there is a bit more in it as well-

Poser shot-

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i love the extra weight on the front of mine to... makes it do a little better offroad. but when i get the sas done....... !!!! yay! lol

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Update...

So I needed a little more lift than what the explorer springs were giving me to be able to drive with the LTB's on. I picked up some goodies to help with that:

3.5" Duff kit from another member on here and an SJ AAL for the explorer springs. A set of homebuilt extended RA's as well as a couple of 1" coil spacers will accompany the front lift, Ill get to that in another update.

I also built some HD extended shackles, cost me a grand total of $20. Here is some pics of the construction.

Had to make some new sleeves that were 3" long instead of the jeep bushings 2-5/8" sleeves.

They are roughly 4" longer from pivot to pivot, should give me an extra 2" of lift. 3/8x1-1/2" bar stock, tig welded.

More to come very soon...
u mind if i copy your design? :D

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, RacinNdrummin, I see this thread has been dormant for awhile, now... but was wondering if you ever did a detailed write up on the SOHC 4.0 swap (with pics ;)? You seem to have worked out all the kinks, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see it.

I have a 97 EXP with a SOHC 4.0 in my driveway that I'm very interested in swapping into my 87 BII. I kinda need more details before I can convince my self to do it instead of the 4.0 OHV swap I was planning. (Have it in a 92 Exp in my yard)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So I gotta ask, how is the SOHC compared to the OHV?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
His B2 spanked mine on the beach, if that helps :D

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
They feel about the same down low, but when you get into the upper RPM range the SOHC really is a noticeable difference.
If you drive normally (keep it under 4k RPM most of the time), its not really worth the extra effort and timing chain issues. I personally beat on my truck all the time so its worth it to me.

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so to revive an old thread i forgot about this till recently.
what sensors did you retain from the OHV system?
would a 3" body lift allow you to retain AC or is this a no AC swap?

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just for kicks, because a FB thread reminded me....

The B2 Still Runs great... Ive wore out my LTB's, and its still the most reliable vehicle I own :D...

I think I have about 20k or so on it since the swap.

I will have some updates here in the future...

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so to revive an old thread i forgot about this till recently.
what sensors did you retain from the OHV system?
would a 3" body lift allow you to retain AC or is this a no AC swap?
I had to bump this old thread simply because it deserves the attention.

Anyway, He said the A/C Compressor looks as if it may interfere with the power steering gear box. I would assume relocating the compressor would fix that problem.

Last edited:

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Back from the Dead.

First of all, I really don't post on forums anymore, I really haven't for about 5 years. Part of that is because of my diesel business, and it got hard to put enough time into a thread to make it worthwhile. The other part is the nature of the forum world. That said, this was always a good thread, and getting back to basics for me, something that keeps me rolling on a project is to document it. With other projects, more recent ones, I've turned to YouTube, but in this sense, I think it going to be good for me to continue the build here.

Onto it...

It's been 5 years since I drove El Taco on the street... If you don't believe me, the license tabs prove it. As per my last post, I was daily driving this thing until about Nov of 2013, and it had been the most reliable vehicle I owned at that point ... However, it started to become unreliable.... I remember doing front spindle bearings in the dark, just to get home, I remember having an LTB blow on me, and having to drop $1400 on new wheels and tires, just to get things serviceable. Around the same time, I was completing a 6.9 diesel engine build for my F250 (Smogie for those who are familiar), and basically parked the bronco....For the next 5+ years.

I've been so busy balls deep into the Diesel thing, that it got neglected. It's always leaked internally, but sitting compounds it....The interior got ruined. I'm saving the seats (They are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in), but they will get recovered in marine vinyl. Future plan is to chop top it (No reason for a top if it doesn't keep the weather out) with some good finishing on the sheet metal to make it look good, as well as a custom roll bar, and eventually a custom soft top.

For the blasphemous part... I'm pulling the SOHC. Not because I don't like it, or have regrets about it, I'm glad I did it, and I'm glad it worked out. The main reason is because I am putting an NP435 in it and I have everything to put it behind a 5.0. I know about the adapter plates and all that, I own a full machine shop, I could easily adapt the NP435 to the SOHC. My issue is that the reason this thing has gotten to the state it is, is because it's not worth my time....Sad to say, sadder to admit.

The goal with this build has become effectiveness and enjoyment, if you read the first post, you'll understand the emotional attachment my wife and I have to it, and even if it became a rusted pile in my back yard, it will be mine forever...But my intent is different...Build something that My wife, my Daughter, and myself can enjoy forever, and have the appeal that most of us see when you see an early bronco.

I have my eyes open for a complete explorer 5.0 cheap. If I can't find one before I'm ready to swap engines, I have a complete HO that I can use, and will if I have to. Either engine will be gone through and freshened up, along with an XE264HR cam.

Anyway, the weather is getting better around here for the year, and I will keep up on the thread with progress as it happens. Today I ditched the destroyed interior and it's ready for pressure washing inside.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals