• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing Engine in '92 with '01, have a couple questions

Ranger305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
The engine in my trusty 92 w/3.0 lost a head gasket or cracked a head at 255k, so I decided to rip and replace. I now have a replacement on the stand in my garage from an 01 Taurus. I have replaced the head gaskets, timing cover gasket, crank seal, valve seals, and rear main seal. I plan to use the ignition, fuel system, balancer, front accessories, and flywheel from the 92 to make it as plug and play as possible. Also plan to use the oil pan and pump from the Taurus. I'm dropping on a new water pump, pilot bearing, plugs, and maybe clutch.

Questions 1: I think I can just pull the old cam position sensor and drop in my dizzy? Anything I need to do about the oil pump rod?

Question 2: The Taurus pan doesn't have the bung for the oil level sensor. Do most people just clip the sensor and move on, or?

Question 3: The old engine has the one piece upper intake/tb. Should I look at swapping the composite one that came on the donor engine? I have the throttle cable from the Taurus and everything out to the TB.

Question 4: Can I replace the exhaust bolts with standard 8mmx1.25 bolts? Do they need to be grade 5 or 8?

Question 5: Anything I'm missing?

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have a couple more as I go. Old engine is out, so I'm part way there.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The lower intake manifold will need to be replaced with your Ranger part.

Don't think the Taurus upper intake will work. I've seen composite intake swaps before, but they were always Ranger pieces instead of Taurus parts.
As it sits, the throttle body would be on the passenger side, and pointing toward the firewall. If you rotated it 180 degrees to get the throttle body closer to the stock Ranger location, I think the ports from upper to lower and/or mounting holes would be out of alignment. Giving the Ranger pieces a nice port/polish job might be a better use of your time and give you better gains.

I used the Taurus oil pan on my swap without any issues, but my truck is a 2wd, 98+, so you have a much different front suspension and your clearances will be different. Most guys just swap to the Ranger parts to be safe.

Ranger305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
Mine is 2wd as well, but due to the sensor issue and the pan gasket leaks that are so common, maybe I should get a gasket and swap the pans and see if the pickup tunes can be swapped?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Your most common metric hardware grades are 8.8 and 12.9, with 12.9 being the stronger bolts.

If it were me, I would order a set bolts that are designed for your engine/manifold. That way, you should get the proper grade and proper length without having to guess.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
The lower intake manifold will need to be replaced with your Ranger part.

Don't think the Taurus upper intake will work. I've seen composite intake swaps before, but they were always Ranger pieces instead of Taurus parts.
As it sits, the throttle body would be on the passenger side, and pointing toward the firewall. If you rotated it 180 degrees to get the throttle body closer to the stock Ranger location, I think the ports from upper to lower and/or mounting holes would be out of alignment. Giving the Ranger pieces a nice port/polish job might be a better use of your time and give you better gains.

I used the Taurus oil pan on my swap without any issues, but my truck is a 2wd, 98+, so you have a much different front suspension and your clearances will be different. Most guys just swap to the Ranger parts to be safe.
You will need to swap oil pans and pumps. The taurus pan uses a different pickup tube (longer) and the tubes are welded to the pump. I know this because I was accidentally sent a taurus one once. The TIB/TTB suspension isn't taurus-pan friendly. Also know that this changes the oil capacity from 5.5Qt to 4.5Qt, like your old one.

Ranger305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info so far. I don't think anyone sells a bolt kit, at least not that I've found. For the pan, that stinks, was really hoping not to have to swap them, but sounds like that is a necessity.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals