• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 ranger 3.0L questions after head gasket replacement

kg8dh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced both head gaskets along with water pump, rad hoses, egr, camshaft position synchro. This truck has never been a rocket ship, but it seems to be running a tad worse than I thought it would. Had heads planed, all new gaskets etc..
question 1.. Is it possible for the truck to run if the CPS is one tooth off?
The reason I ask is that it seems like the timing is not advanced enough.
question 2. vac on my vacuum gauge is 15 taken from hose to brake booster. It's steady like it should be, but I thought it would be higher. Used propane to search for vacuum leaks, but didn't find any. There's a lot of places I couldn't get to with the propane.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unless you live above 5,000 foot elevation. i.e. Denver, yes the vacuum is low, 18-20 is expected between sea level and 2,000ft.

Could also be vacuum gauge is off, test on another engine if possible.

EGR valve isn't used at idle, pull off its vacuum hose to make sure valve is closed, partially open EGR valve lowers vacuum but isn't technically a vacuum leak.

After engine is warmed up and idling, unplug the 2 wires on the IAC(idle air control) valve, it will close all the way and RPMs should drop below 600, engine may even stall, either is good it means no vacuum leaks.
If idle stays above 700 then there is a leak.
Unplug 1 vacuum hose at a time and plug port with finger, when RPMs drop you found the hose or device that is leaking.

If all ports check OK, I use soapy water in a spray bottle to spray around lower intake , if it gets sucked in engine will stumble.

If no vacuum leaks then check the Crank Position(CKP) sensor, behind crank pulley.
CKP sensor is the main spark and fuel injector timing for the computer, CPS is for fine tuning.
Make sure CKP sensor is tight and in the right location.

If CPS was off the computer would only use CKP sensor and set a code that would tell you CPS doesn't match CKP.

kg8dh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. I'm not in Denver. Columbus, OH about 700 feet above sea level. If it ever cools down around here and it should in the next couple of days, I'll give your suggestions a try.

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Ok the CPS can be off to a degree and not throw a code.

I think it is around 25 to 30 degrees off center of the block.

The CKP only does ignition timing.

The CSP does fuel timing

What did you have done to the heads is my question?

On fords they are picky about vacuum leaks because you only have a MAF. GM has MAF and MAP sensor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

kg8dh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok the CPS can be off to a degree and not throw a code.

I think it is around 25 to 30 degrees off center of the block.

The CKP only does ignition timing.

The CSP does fuel timing

What did you have done to the heads is my question?

On fords they are picky about vacuum leaks because you only have a MAF. GM has MAF and MAP sensor.

I had the heads planed. He said he took 8 thousandths off, which is quite a bit. Also had a valve job done. Pulled IAC connector off today and idle dropped quite a bit. A little over 500 rpm according to tach in the dash. I'll give it the soapy water treatment later. Also will hook vac gauge to my other truck to see if it's just reading low. Just thought the truck would have a little more oomph after all of this. It pulls pretty good around 3000 rpm and up, but below that it's pretty much a dud.

Thanks for your help

kg8dh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
checked my other truck with my vac gauge and it reads 16 in. so the gauge is reading low. I have a device that plugs into the obd 2 port and can be accessed via bluetooth on my cellphone. It shows vac at 16.5. I tried the soapy water thing and couldn't get the engine to stumble. Leads me to believe that the vac is fine. Gonna check the cps when I have the time. More than likely,that will be a few days.

Thanks again

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Fuel time can change vacuum number same as ignition timing but that a crankshaft sensor is set and forgot

Last edited:

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
And do you buy new head bolts on the 3.0l I treat the all as torque to yield

kg8dh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
And do you buy new head bolts on the 3.0l I treat the all as torque to yield

Yes. all new head bolts, new exhaust manifold bolts.
Put the truck on the freeway the other day and got it up to 70. Hadn't been faster than about 50 since I put it back together. Got a code 1309. From what I can find, it means it has disabled misfire detection because the camshaft position sensor isn't working or it's out of time. I'll have to take a look at that thing again. I thought I had the little disk to time it with, but can't find it right now.

kg8dh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. all new head bolts, new exhaust manifold bolts.
Put the truck on the freeway the other day and got it up to 70. Hadn't been faster than about 50 since I put it back together. Got a code 1309. From what I can find, it means it has disabled misfire detection because the camshaft position sensor isn't working or it's out of time. I'll have to take a look at that thing again. I thought I had the little disk to time it with, but can't find it right now.
Found the timing disk. There are no timing marks on this engine that I can find. I put the crankshaft position sensor in the middle of the wide space on the back of the harmonic balancer. Is that the right place to time this engine?

Thanks

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The balancer on the crankshaft should have timing marks, but they're faint, and often covered up by grease or dirt.

kg8dh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The balancer on the crankshaft should have timing marks, but they're faint, and often covered up by grease or dirt.
I used sandpaper to clean the balancer and found the marks. Had son bump start it while I put a finger of the #1 plug hole to feel compression. When I yelled for him to stop, it had gone a little past the TDC mark, so I rotated it two revolutions by hand and pulled the camshaft position sensor. It was off at least one tooth.
I think my original question was if it would run a tooth off, and the answer is that it will. It won't run great, and you will get error codes like the P1309 I was getting, but now it seems to be ok. No error codes so far, and while it still ain't no rocket ship, it seems to be running well. I appreciate all your help over the last several weeks.

I may end up pulling the plenum to check vacuum situation, but not sure about that yet.

Thanks again
kg8dh

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals