• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What kind of hitch do you use?

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I need a frame hitch for my chevy, they didn't include the bumper with a ball mount on the stepside models.

I got one for the Ranger after having to replace the plastics on the bumper, the trailer wasn't at the perfect height and it chewed it up a bit. Fairly easy to replace though, it's just a bunch of clips and the two plate lights.

Kirk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just so you know, that Curt bumper mount hitch I linked. It doesn't fit a Ranger step bumper, it's too big. Back to ground zero. Also, everybody is askin' why I don't just get the frame hitch? It's because I don't feel like paying $150 for a hitch to pull a payload of 30 lbs., BUT, I would like to be able to change the ball height easy.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...where are you going to find a 30lb trailer is the better question.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have the stocker with a masterlock 8K ball/drop on it. I have some 12K on my 3/4 ton with a curt 15K drop ball (way overkill but was cheap)

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i prefer a frame-mounted receiver hitch, 2" x 2" square. the spare got moved to the bed for ease of access. its more hitch than i need most of the time, but thats better thaen not enough, plus its the best thing to hook up to if i get stuck. its also a good spot to use jackstands with. i usually have some sort of a drawbar in year around. a pintle hook during the winter for recovery, and a solid drawbar with a 2" ball for the trailer in the summer. havent been hit in the back end yet, but if i do, the hitch will hopefully take more of the impact than the bumper, which by itself would probly just fold itself underneath the back of the truck.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
When I had my f250 I pulled almost 4 ton off of the bumper for a short distance. I did not feel comfortable doing so. There were no problems at all but I just didn't feel comfortable. I got a frame mounted class IV receiver for it right after that. When I got my 1 ton chevy I didn't pull with it at all until after purchasing a receiver. It's just more assuring knowing that your trailer is being pulled by a receiver mounted to the frame and not a bumper mounted to the frame. You hook your trailer and safety chains to the bumper and what happens if the bumper snaps off?

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
If your tight on money you can do what I did for a buddy who had bent frame rails in the rear.

Take some 4in angle iron and mount it to the rear frame rails. Go to like tractor supply and buy a receiver and cut a level square in the angle iron and insert this receiver. Tack it on level and once you have it square, plum, and level, give it a good weld. After this we bought a 1x1 square tube and mounted it across the top of the angle iron resting on the receiver between the frame rails and welded that in to keep the angle from twisting.

It towed pretty good, it was perfect since the truck had twisted rails.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals