• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diesel Ranger Help

mechaniclese

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I am hoping for some help. I have a friend who just recently purchased a 1983 Ranger with the Mazda/Perkins 2.2L diesel engine in it. The injector pump is getting weak and in need of a rebuild. I have searched the web and have yet had any luck tracking down a rebuilt pump or a rebuild kit for the pump that is on it. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some resources for parts for the diesel. Any help would sure be appreciated.

kemicalburns

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
did you try ebay for a replacement pump?

mechaniclese

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All good found a used pump for $75 and the mazda diesel/ranger diesel website for all my other questions sorry to disturb those who own "normal" rangers. It's not my truck I am just helping out a friend who knows nothing about computers. I'm a dodge man and own a 88 dakota 4x4 myself. No offense but I feel a bit unclean even getting near something with a blue oval on it let alone working on one. :icon_rofl:

baadboy11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thats just not very nice...

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
This is a copy and paste from another forum that I am on. Oilburners.net From what I have seen they are a very knowlageable group over there. I suggest checking it out aswell as some other diesel forums.

=================================================

Its got a 2.3L turbo diesel now, 4cyl overhead cam made by mitsubishi. It was offered in both the dodge ram (rebadged mitsubishi mighty max) as well as the ford rangers in the mid 80s. Its called the 4D55-T, its descendant is still in production to this day and they are the workhorse of south east asia.

We bought a 1985 ranger donor truck from a wrecker that had the engine, I had to rebuild it, then swapped it over. All rangers of that era used a mitsubishi transmission of one type or another, so the bellhousing from the donor fit the transmission that was in our truck (the donor was 2wd so we couldn't use it).

Very nice little motor and it has comparable perfomance to the 2.9L EFI that it replaced. It uses the bosch VE rotary injector pump and it can make lots of power, but I'm too scared to crank the fuel up for fear of lifting the aluminum head. Stock rating is 86Hp, but the new rollercam head I put on last year probably brings it in the mid 90s. I'm sure it actually has less max power than the V6, but the powerband is such that you only notice the difference if you try and go past 80 MPH (which it will do, BTW)

Its actually my sister's truck, but I joke about saying that its MY engine. I saw a ford exploder with a cummins 4BT once, but the nice thing about this engine is that it matched the weight of the 2.9 so no suspension mods were needed.

mechaniclese

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is a copy and paste from another forum that I am on. Oilburners.net From what I have seen they are a very knowlageable group over there. I suggest checking it out aswell as some other diesel forums.

=================================================

Its got a 2.3L turbo diesel now, 4cyl overhead cam made by mitsubishi. It was offered in both the dodge ram (rebadged mitsubishi mighty max) as well as the ford rangers in the mid 80s. Its called the 4D55-T, its descendant is still in production to this day and they are the workhorse of south east asia.

We bought a 1985 ranger donor truck from a wrecker that had the engine, I had to rebuild it, then swapped it over. All rangers of that era used a mitsubishi transmission of one type or another, so the bellhousing from the donor fit the transmission that was in our truck (the donor was 2wd so we couldn't use it).

Very nice little motor and it has comparable perfomance to the 2.9L EFI that it replaced. It uses the bosch VE rotary injector pump and it can make lots of power, but I'm too scared to crank the fuel up for fear of lifting the aluminum head. Stock rating is 86Hp, but the new rollercam head I put on last year probably brings it in the mid 90s. I'm sure it actually has less max power than the V6, but the powerband is such that you only notice the difference if you try and go past 80 MPH (which it will do, BTW)

Its actually my sister's truck, but I joke about saying that its MY engine. I saw a ford exploder with a cummins 4BT once, but the nice thing about this engine is that it matched the weight of the 2.9 so no suspension mods were needed.
Thanks for the help!

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, be sure to note that 2 different diesels were used. There was the 2.2L non-turbo 59HP Perkins engine used in 83-84 (also used in the mazda b2200 diesels). There was also the 2.3L turbo 86HP Mitsubishi engine used in 85-87. These engines are in no way related to each other.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You'll feel better about the blue oval when the Ram people fold up shop and go south with Enron.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
All good found a used pump for $75 and the mazda diesel/ranger diesel website for all my other questions sorry to disturb those who own "normal" rangers. It's not my truck I am just helping out a friend who knows nothing about computers. I'm a dodge man and own a 88 dakota 4x4 myself. No offense but I feel a bit unclean even getting near something with a blue oval on it let alone working on one. :icon_rofl:
No offense taken, I worked at a Dodge Dealership bodyshop, and I for one can tell you dodges are the bigger pieces of junk between the two :icon_thumby:
[/threadjack]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals