• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 1998 Mazda B3000 4x4

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone!

I just recently purchased my first truck and I'm very excited. It is a 1998 Mazda B3000 with working 4x4 and a 5 speed manual transmission (M5OD-R1 I believe?) and 177,000 miles. I've had 7 cars in the last 5 years including everything from a Honda Civic to 2 BMW E30s and a Jeep Cherokee. My mechanical skills are mostly self taught and I've done almost anything on several cars except I have never done a transmission rebuild however I hope to learn soon. Anyways on to the car itself.

So far the things that I have done are:
-Oil fluid and filter change
-Cooling system flush and fill with new fluid
-transmission fluid drain and fill with new fluid
-air filter
-replaced both broken mirrors
-replaced camper shell stuts
-repaint wiper stalks and change wiper blades
-installed CB Radio (always wanted one for fun)

The car runs pretty well. Apparently it has had 10 owners (I'm the 11th) and has a clean title. The car however, has been rolled but has no frame damage. The engine runs and revs smooth, idles well, and maintains a good temp. The gauge on the right (amperage-meter? never had these on my cars before) does seem just slightly low. The transmission does have a bit of trouble getting into gears or shifting into gears sometimes, but I think it could be air in the clutch system? Or a master cylinder issue? When the trans fluid was changed there were almost no metal shavings so I would assume the trans is healthy? Anyways the interior is pretty solid, I will post pics tomorrow but it has 60/40 seats with some rips in the drivers side but no other cosmetic issues.

My plans for now are to get the CB radio tuned, and then work on simple maintenance and cosmetic issues. I attempted to punch out the massive dent on the front right quarter panel today but had no luck. A heat gun and hammer didn't seem to work.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
perfect!

already rolled.

no mercy.

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
perfect!

already rolled.

no mercy.
Hopefully it doesn't get rolled more ! I'm planning on keeping the ride height how it currently sits, and I might add some larger tires somewhere down the road.

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
perfect!

already rolled.

no mercy.
Hopefully it doesn't get rolled more ! I'm planning on keeping the ride height how it currently sits, and I might add some larger tires somewhere down the road.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
real lockers.....good winches. all i would do to it. unless it is a 3.0....

eventually build a radical set of long arms....

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
real lockers.....good winches. all i would do to it. unless it is a 3.0....

eventually build a radical set of long arms....
I know that the 3.0 is fairly gutless, but aren't they reliable runners other than that? I would hope that at 177,000 it still has plenty of life :shok:

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Couple of updates on the truck....

CB Radio is installed and working :icon_thumby: I still need to work on tuning it correctly though. I also punched the large dent out on my front left quarter panel by using a heat gun, compressed air, and a soccer ball. I definitely think it looks better but still not perfect.

I also picked up an auto dimming mirror at the junkyard, tomorrow I'll head back and grab the overhead console from an explorer to be installed.

I've ordered a new clutch master cylinder as well so I'm hoping that helps out some of my trans issues but I doubt it will :annoyed:

JohnPrince

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Drop in a more powerful turbo charged engine and I'll buy this thing tomorrow. That's all I've been waiting for Mazda to do. Now that the Mazda 6 has a turbo maybe this will be next. type my essay.

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have some updates! So the truck has been shifting hard for quite a while, and after bleeding the master cylinder like 3 times i suspected it could be an issue with the slave so I just decided to pull the trans and do the clutch and everything else with it. I ran into some issues getting the flywheel bolts off and eventually had to purchase this flywheel tool and lean it against the frame in order to break the bolts free.

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I also picked up this brush guard on craigslist for $100 which seems like a good deal to me but I'm not sure what the going rate is for these things :dunno: Unfortunately I discovered that this particular brush guard actually wont fit my 1998 and it was meant for 2001+ models so it looks like I have to learn how to fab my own mounts. You can see my diff and trans in the background after I just got them out. The whole process was relatively smooth except for those flywheel bolts.

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
My most recent issue is the discovery of a bulging oil pan gasket right below my rear main seal. It does leak oil and I thought I could maybe get away with slapping a ton of black RTV on there but the more I think about it the more I realize that it is a terrible idea. Anyone have any luck/tips changing the pan gasket without removing the 3.0 from their truck?

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
So I was able to drop the pan in about an hour. It still sits in the front diff but there is enough clearance to snake the oil gasket off and snake the new one on around the outside. My only concern is little pieces of sludge and dirt falling in the engine as I clean the mating surfaces of the oil pan and engine. To alleviate these concerns I am going to buy some cheap oil and do a quick engine flush before I refill it with the right oil and fire it up. This may not be the conventional way of doing things but I simply do not have time to yank the engine as it is already about 50 degrees outside and getting colder by the day.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
My only concern is little pieces of sludge and dirt falling in the engine as I clean the mating surfaces of the oil pan and engine.
Make sure you change your oil filter after a couple hundred miles. Most of that stuff will get stuck in the bottom of the pan or on the oil pump pickup screen. Anything else will get trapped by the filter. :icon_thumby:

Sean's84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Nice truck!
I have a soft spot for those late 90's Mazdas.
My daily is currently a '99 B series, 2WD manual with 189k on the 4cyl motor. I've always wished it was a 4wd though!

BudgetB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Make sure you change your oil filter after a couple hundred miles. Most of that stuff will get stuck in the bottom of the pan or on the oil pump pickup screen. Anything else will get trapped by the filter. :icon_thumby:
Ok I will make sure to do that thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals