• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Mileage Domestics

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
No I don't to be honest just seen Chicago as a location assumed inner city lol.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Chicago is a big area. Lol This city, including downtown, all the neighborhoods, and the suburbs, has thousands of cabs.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
So...why even buy a car? just walk around on the cabs~!

I just saved you $5,000...no need to thank me...lol

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That wasn't the question, now was it?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Question? Oh, right...you want to buy a car...domestic...that performs fairly well on very little fuel and somewhat easier to repair than a Japanese Jigsaw puzzle...

That was too tough so I opted out for "none of the above"...but, to be honest, there are not too many out there that meet your criteria...I see plenty of Ford and GM cars on the road today that are way past their best before dates, but that usually indicates people want to hang onto something and not going the finance route...

I see plenty of newer cars and trucks for sale but the price tag is "like new" in most cases...so the cheaper models are in a "sellers market" or simply not available...

Haven't priced out a Ford Focus in Canada recently but I've heard more good things about them than, say, Chevy or GM...quality issues...longevity issues...

It's a tough question...

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Question? Oh, right...you want to buy a car...domestic...that performs fairly well on very little fuel and somewhat easier to repair than a Japanese Jigsaw puzzle...

That was too tough so I opted out for "none of the above"...but, to be honest, there are not too many out there that meet your criteria...I see plenty of Ford and GM cars on the road today that are way past their best before dates, but that usually indicates people want to hang onto something and not going the finance route...

I see plenty of newer cars and trucks for sale but the price tag is "like new" in most cases...so the cheaper models are in a "sellers market" or simply not available...

Haven't priced out a Ford Focus in Canada recently but I've heard more good things about them than, say, Chevy or GM...quality issues...longevity issues...

It's a tough question...
You going to be ok buddy? Man o man that had to have been tough on ya bro.:D

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You going to be ok buddy? Man o man that had to have been tough on ya bro.:D
:icon_rofl:

Whew~! One of the main reasons I'm still single at 56...:D

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
"Not getting a car" is absolutely not a viable option. Suggesting some import to me, could be done but it would fall on deaf ears as I simply don't want to hear it.

I asked a question. Got some answers (which I'm thankful for, guys). I'm sorry it was too difficult for you to keep your $.02 out without coming off the way you did.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Relax! I'm not offended when someone gets a bit testy with me and I probably deserved it for not seeing you were still not set on the options given...or how critical this was to your happiness...or whatever...

I may appear to be an idiot sometimes...oh, wait, make that most times, but I am usually only that way in any thread once I know the serious stuff has been addressed...and you did get plenty of answers considering your criteria...

I still say the Tempo though...and I wasn't kidding because I drove one for 14 years with only minor problems...as long as you don't drive on too many washboard roads they are very reliable vehicles.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Import wise the only ones I ever bought were Subaru's and they were great cars, the only reason I sold them is because some girl or the other needed a car real bad and cheap. Im still hung on the Focus though If I was to get a car it would be an older 4 door focus wagon so I could still carry a ton of fishing gear n beer.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Someone mentioned a ford tempo. My parents had an 88, that survived 3 pretty bad wrecks, the only thing that killed it was my step dad's lack of maintenance which eventually gummed up the engine to the point where it finally had enough and seized. A few years ago I had a 93, great car, and would get close to 40mpg on the freeway with the A/C on. Great car, lots of room and for somewhat of a smaller sedan it had a really good sized trunk. I should have kept that car, but was stupid and traded it in, ok wasn't really stupid but should have kept it and just bought the other vehicle. The 2.3L 4 cylinder had plenty of get up and go, and the 3 speed auto still would give pretty descent gas mileage. Or you could go clear back to the early 80's and find an all wheel drive ford tempo, pretty rare but they're out there.

Someone also mentioned a crown vic, sadly ford's dumb ideas of getting rid of vehicles this one is no longer made. :(. However the crown vic given its size, weight and engine can still get about 25mpg pretty good for a full size car.

Never been in a ford focus long enough to drive one, but they seem like pretty good cars. I know quite a few people who own one, in reality I'm not really a car person, but I'd like my ford tempo back or an older model late 80's ford taurus.

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
Transmission
Manual
We had an AWD Tempo, and it was the biggest piece of shit we ever owned.

It only had around 70k, and it already had the transmission rebuilt before we bought it and it still wasn't right at all. The gas mileage was terrible for a car it's size, and it had NO power at all.

The oil pan gasket was leaking around 4-5 QUARTS a week at one point. I found out why. There was about 1/4" difference in the height of the gasket surface on the engine block vs the timing cover. Plus, it didn't call for an actual gasket, just RTV. I ended up making a gasket out of cork gasket material and putting RTV on both sides to get it to stop leaking.

I wouldn't take another Tempo AT GUN POINT. Especially an AWD one.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Someone mentioned a ford tempo. My parents had an 88, that survived 3 pretty bad wrecks, the only thing that killed it was my step dad's lack of maintenance which eventually gummed up the engine to the point where it finally had enough and seized. A few years ago I had a 93, great car, and would get close to 40mpg on the freeway with the A/C on. Great car, lots of room and for somewhat of a smaller sedan it had a really good sized trunk. I should have kept that car, but was stupid and traded it in, ok wasn't really stupid but should have kept it and just bought the other vehicle. The 2.3L 4 cylinder had plenty of get up and go, and the 3 speed auto still would give pretty descent gas mileage. Or you could go clear back to the early 80's and find an all wheel drive ford tempo, pretty rare but they're out there.

Someone also mentioned a crown vic, sadly ford's dumb ideas of getting rid of vehicles this one is no longer made. :(. However the crown vic given its size, weight and engine can still get about 25mpg pretty good for a full size car.

Never been in a ford focus long enough to drive one, but they seem like pretty good cars. I know quite a few people who own one, in reality I'm not really a car person, but I'd like my ford tempo back or an older model late 80's ford taurus.
The biggest reason I mentioned the Vic is because they are comfy, tough, reliable, cheap, can tow quite a bit get good mileage and still are respectable performers for what they are(espically the P71s.)

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The biggest reason I mentioned the Vic is because they are comfy, tough, reliable, cheap, can tow quite a bit get good mileage and still are respectable performers for what they are(espically the P71s.)
P-71's is that the police interceptor?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals