• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leaking liftgate need info please!!!!!!!

raptorx

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok I got an 89 bronco II that im trying to seal all the cab leaks. current one im working on is the liftgate glass. its the stationary model and there is water leaking in at the bottom of the rubber trim around the window. so im guessing the seal is shot but I have no clue how to remove the window to re-seal it. ive removed windshields before so I have some experience in cutting out glass but I cant see the sealant itself. is it set up the same way or is it something different?? and if so how do I remove the glass?

second leak is the door seal itself. I replaced the old seal and used the 3m weather stripping adhesive autozone sells but it looks like the water is seeping in. the old seal was held on by something that was like tar and was still sticky and soft and seemed to work a lot better than the 3m crap. Is there something else I can use to put the seal on with that will actually remain sticky and seal?

also stupid question but the new seal has a series of small holes that I do believe are weeping holes. the seal should be installed with the holes to the outside of the vehicle right??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. been stuck on these leaks for close to a year and I just want to get them fixed:pissedoff::pissedoff::pissedoff:

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The glass pops put from the inside out, be careful though.

If you happen to break it, or want a spare with a good seal, I have one for sale, cheap.

As for your hatch, the holes do go out, and the butyl sealant that held it on is available at NAPA.

ElectraRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ,2000
Make / Model
Ford ,Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ,4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have done this several times, I start with a half inch rope about 8' long. Remove the
plastic trim, find the center of the rope, start in the bottom center of the window, working
the rope under the rubber seal on the fiberglass side around to the top corner of the window. This is to be done on the inside of the door or hatch, now very gently start working one of the bottom corners out continuously out both directions so as not to bend the glass to much working to the other bottom corner and up, now grab and pull out of the top part of the door. remove the rubber seal off the glass and put glass some
where safe. Take the rubber seal inspect and clean out the grooves with small flat tip
screw driver with soap and water inside groove and out side groove. surprising how much gets in there, clean window edge with razor blade and soap. Clean hatch edges,
now I have never used sealer on mine just soapy water to reinstall and had no leaks
but that would be your call to make.
To reinstall if you have defroster glass make sure it's on the in side, rubber seal with weep holes down and out install rope like before, slide in top, tucking ends of rope to the
inside pulling on rope ends will pull rubber seal edges back in with it then tap with palm
of hand to help move in place. Not to hard once you get the hang of it, good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals