• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my dads 2002 silverado

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

I have a '97 Ranger so when my dad called with questions on his chevy truck, I was kind of in the dark. I was kind of hoping some of you could help.

He has a 4 wheel drive 2002 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 v8 ext. cab. 225,000 miles

About 2 weeks ago, he went to the oil change place to get the oil changed and decided to get the fuel filter changed as it had been a while. Also, the truck had been hard to start for a couple of days; he would turn the key and it would just crank. He said that it seemed like it was getting no gas. So they changed the fuel filter and when they pulled it off all this black stuff drained out of it. He said it was hard and gritty. So a mechanic he knows popped the hood and tried to see if he was getting fuel pressure to the motor and when he depressed the schraeder valve hardly any fuel came dribbling out.
So he went to the dealership and they said that they would have to drop the tank, pull the fuel pump, clean the screen, do a full fuel system clean, pull the fuel rail and clean that and the cost was like $900-$1100.
Does anyone have any suggestions that would take care of the problem? Is this endemic with these trucks with this many miles? He is a stickler with servicing his vehicles so I know he changes the fuel filter often I just am not sure if he has a bad tank or something else.
Any help would be appreciated.:dunno:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Hey guys,

I have a '97 Ranger so when my dad called with questions on his chevy truck, I was kind of in the dark. I was kind of hoping some of you could help.

He has a 4 wheel drive 2002 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 v8 ext. cab. 225,000 miles

About 2 weeks ago, he went to the oil change place to get the oil changed and decided to get the fuel filter changed as it had been a while. Also, the truck had been hard to start for a couple of days; he would turn the key and it would just crank. He said that it seemed like it was getting no gas. So they changed the fuel filter and when they pulled it off all this black stuff drained out of it. He said it was hard and gritty. So a mechanic he knows popped the hood and tried to see if he was getting fuel pressure to the motor and when he depressed the schraeder valve hardly any fuel came dribbling out.
So he went to the dealership and they said that they would have to drop the tank, pull the fuel pump, clean the screen, do a full fuel system clean, pull the fuel rail and clean that and the cost was like $900-$1100.
Does anyone have any suggestions that would take care of the problem? Is this endemic with these trucks with this many miles? He is a stickler with servicing his vehicles so I know he changes the fuel filter often I just am not sure if he has a bad tank or something else.
Really, I think you've said what needs to be done. Now it's a matter of getting it done, whether you have the dealer or someone else.....or even you and your Dad. If it were my truck, I'd want the fuel rail and injectors cleaned. I would also do it myself so I knew it wasn't half-assed. When you say "clean the screen" though, are you referring to the sock that fits on the end of the fuel pump? If so, why would they clean that? They are cheap....just replace it. I would say it was bad gas as the cause. Your Dad probably ought to look into the place he usually get gas and see how old their tanks are. I'm sure it's happening to others as well. Maybe they could foot at least part of the bill if you could prove it.

CheapRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Agreed, it sounds like either bad gas, or someone dumped something in the tank. The state normally has someone in weights and measures that check the accuracy of the pumps. If the cause is a gas station, they would be the ones I would contact, as they may be able to tell you that multiple other people contacted them about the same station, around the same time. If so, the station or company that fueled them up would be responsible. (Here, a LEO friends daughter was one of six cars damaged. The station reimbursed them and the supplier reimbursed the station.)

If grit is already past the filter, you no doubt need what was said. I would also just replace the whole pump when in there, not just a clogged sock.

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
I guess he just replaced the pump about 20000 miles ago. Still think you would replace it? I guess it is like $175 for the pump and 400 for labor.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I guess he just replaced the pump about 20000 miles ago. Still think you would replace it? I guess it is like $175 for the pump and 400 for labor.
The tank is coming down anyway if your replacing the sock/screen, so the 400 dollar labor thing is a moot point in my opinion. To me, 175 dollars is extra insurance that you don't have to pull all of that crap back out again. The pump doesn't hold a lot though, so maybe you could devise a way to douche it when it's out of the tank. Be very careful with how you do it though, it could be pretty dangerous.

Did you talk to the service station?

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, i figured we would just pop the bed as we have an impact and the right size torqz driver. That way we could just stand up and do all the work; just pop the elect., the filler neck and slide the bed back. Then we can disconnect all the fuel parts, blow everything out properly, replace the pump and filter and be done with it.

The only sticky part I see is how to get all the crap out of the tank without actually pulling it. It is a Michigan truck so inevitably there will be rust and if I do not have to deal with it I do not want to. The belly bands on gas tanks are nearly impossible to salvage when taking them off. It sucks. I feel like running the tank almost dry and then putting about 2 gallons of water in the tank then sucking it all out with a shop vac. Maybe do that 3 times. I don't know.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
same thing happened on a buddy's 4.8 (basically the same motor as the 5.3 in your dads). Sounds like it is the fuel pump. They were a big problem up until around 2003 on the LS series trucks (99-06). The connectors that go on the fuel pump suck too, and usually if you buy the kit from an autoparts place, they give you the new connectors to put on.

If the pump only lasted 20k, i would check the warranty. You could possibly get a new one if that one is in fact bad.

As far as removing it, its only 6 bed bolts. You need to remove the tail lights, and the tail gate. There is a harness that plugs in right behind the back bumper, so just lift the back up a little bit, unplug it, then proceed to take the bed off. Once it is off, a hammer and wedge shaped punch or even a flat head screwdriver will be needed to "knock" the lock ring out. Super easy job. Took me and that fella about an hour and a half to do the whole job.

wvfarmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03 ranger 4x4
Make / Model
99 ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
me
one thing i learned about fuel pumps dont i repeat dont get a carter pump thayonly last from a few days to a year i tried several of these things on 3 differnt rangers all went bad these things are junk

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

How'd it go? no update!
If problem hasn't been dealt with, I'd suggest R+R fuel pump, fill with fresh gas and seafoam it. Then replace fuel filter and take it from there. Just my 2 cents

breetlee6666

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It doesn't do this when it's just starting up. Only when the temp hits ideal operating temperature (about ~170, give or take).
- It's done this before. I usually drive my truck in Overdrive, so I don't have to worry about RPM's being too high. It does this once I drive it, not in over drive, at about 2000 RPM's in Second gear for too long. That's why when it does it in Overdrive (Low RPM's in 3rd gear instead of High RPM's in Second gear), I'm kind of surprised.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals