• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 transfer case removal- easy, but not. Stuck.

adam762

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got the Haynes manual, I've watched a million videos, and I've wrenched for 30 years. But this is killin' me, and I'm sure it's something simple.

Case is the BW1354 electric I believe, behind the 5 speed... Not sure the model number there.

So the shafts are out, the vent is out, the harness is out of the way, the dampener is removed, and the 5 bolts are pulled. I can crack the transfer case loose from the tailhousing and get a pry bar in there, but not much, and I'm afraid of forcing things. Everyone says this is supposed to slide right off. What's going on with my rig?

Thanks guys. Just discovering the joys of this little truck and don't know how I missed it all these years. This project is not so joyful at the moment though.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its just stuck. I usually have the go all Indian Jones to not have it fall on me once I crack her loose.

adam762

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Read up on it here quite a bit last night. Seized alignment pin sounds like the most likely cause. Drivers side will pull free; passenger will not. Presently have a stout ratchet strap hooked around the output shaft of the case and the input to the rear differential. Strap sings like a harp when I pluck it. :/ Heat around the pin to loosen? Which part has the male pin, the case or the transmission extension?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
IIRC the pin is supposed to stay in the trans.

Keep in mind that with one side off and the other still on you probably have it wedged. Put it back on the whole way and then try to pop the stuck side. Otherwise you might break something expensive.

adam762

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The drivers side was free but not separated much. I decided that pulling on the shafts was not a good idea. Hooked a come along to the case flange by the pin and the other end to the axle. Couple of pulls and it popped free, then wiggling with pry bars finished it up.

My concern when I posted was that I had overlooked a fastener somewhere or something was not ready to come apart. I found a few good threads that gave me confidence to put some power into separating the two then it was a matter figuring out how.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals