• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

snow plowing

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
maybe....but it's bigger than the steer ram on my snowplow.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
i don't know what the supply of used outboard motors is like there,but i have a power tilt unit from a 2000 merc 60hp that is just a ram and a pump-no trim buttons.it'll easilly lift the front of a fullsize truck off the ground,and would handle your plow easilly.
i bought the whole motor with a blown piston for $50.if you can find something like this,it would work.the ram is bi-directional,too.

Linear actuator. What I was thinking, I just had no idea where one could be salvaged from, lol.

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
maybe....but it's bigger than the steer ram on my snowplow.
That cylinder rod looks to be about 3/4" diameter. Just curious as to what kind of plow you have with power angle rams that small? My light weight Meyer plow for my Ranger has 1.5".

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
done my share of plowing.....

e bay for that actuator maybe....start gawking there and you may get what you want for less then you expect.

i have tapped into my powersteering before with tsc type place shelf parts for 300 bux in the past on several different rigs. but that had mixed results and airlock issues. not using a single push pull cyl made it a pia..my current situation has hydroboost brakes along the the steering so the pump and line systems are taxed enough....

manual plow and winch seems good enough for doing just my yard:dunno:

do enough scrounging and this is not a big problem to solve cost effectively...i am just too lazy and time constrained right now...

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That cylinder rod looks to be about 3/4" diameter. Just curious as to what kind of plow you have with power angle rams that small? My light weight Meyer plow for my Ranger has 1.5".
ok,took another look at the plow(arctic,bolts to my f350)and i owe you an apology-or at least a clarification.the cylinder on the outboard ram is bigger than on the plow,but the rod is smaller.
the rams on the plow are single acting,with 1 1/2'' rods.the outboard ram is double acting with a 3/4'' rod.
the cylinders on the plow are 1 1/2'' bore,the outboard unit is 2'' bore.

it would be a matter of speculation on my part or yours as to whether it would hold up-at least untill someone tries it.:icon_thumby:

Mike Tonon

I appreciate the info, thanks. Something like pictured here would be great. I'm looking for something that I could just wire to the battery and to another snowbear plow switch in my dash and it should work great. The hard part would be moding my plow to make this work and I don't know if this would be strong enough. If I get sand and salt on it, will it jam? Will it leak? Is it hydraulic? I guess I would just want to keep it clean and waxed?

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it's hydraulic.it's also part of an outboard motor,so it's designed to be immersed in salt water for it's entire operational life.sand would not be an issue any more than any other hydraulic cylinder.maybe less-most are not sealed as well as marine equipment.
it's powerfull enough to lift the front of an f350 4x4 off the ground without straining-so at least 4000lbs,and it's bi-directional.
the size of the ram shaft could be an issue,that is hard to say.my guess is it would probably be fine,but the only way to know for sure would be to try it.if my plow was not already equiped with steer rams,i'd try it.but then,i already have the parts here,so i've got nothing to lose.you'd need to track it down and buy it,so there's more risk there.
it was simply another suggestion for possibilities.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Linear actuator. What I was thinking, I just had no idea where one could be salvaged from, lol.
and this is not a linear actuator.those are mechanical drive systems-generally a motor turning a screw.this one has a motor driven hydraulic pump that feeds pressure to a hydraulic cylinder.
what's the difference?
power.
most linear actuators have power ratings in the range of hundreds of pounds.
hydraulic systems such as this have power ratings in the range of thousands of pounds.
this particular system has two wires to operate it,they have their polarity reversed to change directions,as with a power window motor.or a linear actuator.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In addition to the "somewhat light duty" hydraulic cylinder mentioned by gwaii, it would it be possible to add a latching mechanism to replace the pin that currently holds the blade in the angled position. For instance a solenoid that is actuated at the same time as the cylinder. That way the ram wouldn't have to take the abuse.

Mike Tonon

It can't interfere with the other parts of the plow. I know the plow wouldn't be able to move side to side when its all the way up and less and less as it goes higher and higher. I guess I would just have to remember that before trying to turn it side to side.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
and this is not a linear actuator.those are mechanical drive systems-generally a motor turning a screw.this one has a motor driven hydraulic pump that feeds pressure to a hydraulic cylinder.
what's the difference?
power.
most linear actuators have power ratings in the range of hundreds of pounds.
hydraulic systems such as this have power ratings in the range of thousands of pounds.
this particular system has two wires to operate it,they have their polarity reversed to change directions,as with a power window motor.or a linear actuator.
I stand corrected.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another source of linear actuators is the old "Big Ugly Dish" you know the thing that moved the dish side to side to re-position for other satellites. most are 12VDC in the first place, AND where long throw to boot !

I have one on the pick-up on our old small square bailer for our horses.

Greg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals