• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

welding my frame

c_lower

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a rotted out spot of my frame. if i weld reinforcements on that part of the frame is it going to cause my frame to warp slightly from the heat? because ive heard it will warp my frame due to heat stress and what not. but then i heard that the 4x4 frame is strong enough to handle it.

your inputs please?

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You should be fine, just don't do a full bead from the top to bottom of the frame. But if you are truly worried about it warping, you can brace the frame and then weld 2 inches at a time, let cool, then move to the opposite corner and weld another 2 inches.

-Jester

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Where exactly does it need to be patched?

c_lower

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
it needs to be patched towards the back of the frame. by the spare tire. that area. because im puttin a body lift on my truck soon and i was just gunna get someone to weld the frame up while doing that since ill have the bed off. and im going to wirebrush all the shit off of it then primer and paint it jus to prevent rust somewhat

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Is it cracked or rusted through? No welds vertical on the frame rail. Make your patch look like this <> or this ()

c_lower

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
alright. well its behind all the shock mounts so i dont think it would affect the driving or alignment if it was to warp. but im cutting the back foot or so off my frame and then going to weld a new part on. its going to be cut in the shape of a L sort of. so the new piece will fit in it like a puzzle then just weld it in.

a backwards L and an upside down L. so they fit together

RobinHood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is it cracked or rusted through? No welds vertical on the frame rail. Make your patch look like this <> or this ()
This is interesting... l have never heard that before. l am not questioning you or your statement by any means... but would like to know the reason behind this for future reference.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On Ford's comercial website they have info on modifying frames and have the diamond patches shown. But on this truck, if the weld is after the rear hanger it's not that important.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
The rear shock mount is in front of the rear hanger so it will be in a place that matters.

powerwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i may be a newb to trs but i can tell u the patch plates have to be rounded of cornes like dimonds (fishplate) and i f square it should have now sharp corners. sharp corners make streas points and thats weak and bad. my dads bin doing this stuf for 22 years tig stick mig wut ever he knows his shit

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yup, never bring a weld to a point on a frame or a do a straight vertical weld, it will create a stress point. Do as AK said and fishplate it.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Technically, you're not supposed to weld to, or section Ford frames. If your repair were to fail, and cause an accident, you will be at fault.

With that said, take these guys' advise, weld in your patch, then fishplate over it. :icon_thumby:

Dan Fredrickson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
I have 21 vehic
Make / Model
Ford, Toyota, D
Transmission
Automatic
Also....

Boxing the inside of the frame would help in spreading the load from the weak area....

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Technically, you're not supposed to weld to, or section Ford frames. If your repair were to fail, and cause an accident, you will be at fault.

With that said, take these guys' advise, weld in your patch, then fishplate over it. :icon_thumby:
You can weld the frames. Read down to where it says FRAMES. It's a PDF file.

Here is the whole book. Worth reading. There is another publication that gives pictures that I have saved on a harddrive somewhere but you should be able to find it on-line as I did.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
You can weld the frames. Read down to where it says FRAMES. It's a PDF file.

Here is the whole book. Worth reading. There is another publication that gives pictures that I have saved on a harddrive somewhere but you should be able to find it on-line as I did.

Great info there Will. :icon_thumby:

This would be the part I was talking about, #4 " 4. Do not weld on frame flanges, including the bend radii." This is what makes it impossible to section or repair a ford c-channel frame. Not to mention the info you submitted is from the fleet class of trucks, not passenger vehicles.

Here is a small list of the frames ford will allow sections on. Notice they are all hydroformed boxed frames. Not C-channel frames.
http://www.i-car.com/html_pages/technical_information/advantage/advantage_online_archives/2004/102504a.shtml

A little more valuable info, which states the same thing as your info Will, you cannot weld on the upper or lower flanges, including the radii.
Crack repair is generally a business decision as most vehicle makers provide limited information regarding this type of repair. Ford, however, provides the following information regarding repair of frame rail cracks:

Ford's Recommendations:

Ford recommends that cracks resulting from repairs can be welded and then should be reinforced by installing a piece of the same material and thickness that extends 100–150 mm (4–6") beyond either side of the crack and is welded completely around its perimeter. There are four restrictions regarding the repair of Ford frame cracks:

Cracks cannot be repaired within the crush initiator area.
Cracks caused by repairing a kink cannot be repaired.
Cracks located in the area of the steering gear cannot be repaired.
Cracks located on the flange area of a C-channel frame should not be repaired.
Generally, frame cracks that should not be repaired include those:

near the steering box area.
near a suspension mounting area.
on the top or bottom flange on a frame with an open C-channel design.
caused by straightening an area that was previously kinked.

Basically, my comment of "you cannot weld on ford frames" was a general comment, which does apply to the OP's question, but isn't neccesarily the bottom line. :icon_thumby:

Like I said before, anything you do to your frame makes you liable for the outcome, good or bad, unless you follow fords reccomendations to a T. And there are no procedures outlined by ford for the repair you want to do, therefore it is not a viable repair, and should not be performed, unless you know the liability you are taking upon yourself, and the next stop for your truck is a crusher. If you sell this truck after making the repair and it fails, injuring someone, you are automatically at fault. Just something to think about.

While it may be more work, the only right thing to do is to change out the frame with one that is in better condition.

With that said. :icon_welder::D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals