• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slow return to idle

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Whenever i shift between gears the truck should drop down in rpm's to, or almost near idle... correct? Well my truck returns down to idle but it takes awhile for it to do so, especially when cold. I already changed the IAC motor what else could cause this? Thanks!

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have the duratec motor(2007) but i had the same prob. i made a restricter plate for the IAC and works better than i could have hoped for

shatteredsoul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A IAC restrictor plate? I can tell you guys from experience that the most common things to go out on the newer fords is the DPFE sensor,the IAC motor as well as the blend door motor.Take off the IAC from the 2 8mm bolts and look at the plunger if its shiny at all on the left side then its sticking a bit.What a crappy design from ford on such an expensive part.You can clean it good but its only a bandaid.

sluginxlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i had the same problem and i tried swaping a bunch of things including the iac, but it ended up being the TPS

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
check pcv valve , it will cause a high idle , and not throw a code...
:rolleyes:

Kim Hinshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.3 Duratec slow to return to idle

My 2011 2.3 Ranger with a straight drive (manual to you non-southerners) would take 3 or 4 seconds to return to idle. Really sucked when shifting as you could feel the clutch dragging the engine RPM's down to match the next gear.
My local mechanic plugged in his diagnostic machine and the graph tach function would show the engine slowing down in (3) separate steps. The Ford store checked it out and said it was normal and controlled by the computer, which didn't make me feel any better or help shifting.
I pulled the IAC valve and made a restrictor plate out of 1/8 thick aluminum with (2) 3/16 dia. holes (one hole for each chamber). The truck now idles at 850 RPM and shifts way better. It still speeds up when the A/C comes on but cold idle is a little low but I can live with that.
Hope this helps somebody. Your results may vary. Don't forget to make a new gasket for the plate/IAC surface.

Last edited:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
A vacuum leak can cause this too.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The newer Duratec engines don't have vacuum anymore...it's all solid state these days!

Hahah...I've waited six years to post to this thread...:)

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Your reply is a bit confusing.. Did you mean they don't use vacuum controls? Or are you trying to convey sarcasm through typed words (doesn't work well ;)) Just curious.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Your reply is a bit confusing.. Did you mean they don't use vacuum controls? Or are you trying to convey sarcasm through typed words (doesn't work well ;)) Just curious.
Not sarcasm...humour...I was thinking about something my brother bought for his laptop computer...a hard disk that has no moving parts...just solid state components that last forever...so when I saw it was already answered and the post was originally from 2008...well, my overactive imagination kicks into hyper drive and I start spitting out nonsense...

Some people find it funny...others it needs some explaining...while a select few see it as annoying and they develop a twitchy eyelid and start frothing and planning ways to get revenge on me...usually in the form of new identities that give me negative rep...:icon_rofl:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I laughed, I just wasn't sure, it was bothering me, I had to clarify. Lmao, I think ill choose to be #3, and start planning now!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals