• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine swap, 2wd-4x4 need help

knapp95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1992 2.3l ranger that is 2wd completely stock with a manual transmission. I have found a donor truck that is a 1985 2.8l ranger that is 4x4. will the engine easily mount and can the 4x4 be swapped over to my truck? also is there a difference in the rear ends?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I have a 1992 2.3l ranger that is 2wd completely stock with a manual transmission. I have found a donor truck that is a 1985 2.8l ranger that is 4x4. will the engine easily mount and can the 4x4 be swapped over to my truck? also is there a difference in the rear ends?

your 2.3 is blown??

is it a short bed or long bed? is the donor the same style?

your better off swapping frames if you have to ask. on these trucks the engine cross members are different and swapping it from one chassis to another takes some medium to top level shade tree mechanic capacity. but it is possible none the less.

i dont think i would trade a decent running 2.3 for a 2.8 engine.

i would not swap a dana 28 over a jeep dana 30 either into a decent 2wd chassis.

if i found myself in this scenario i would get a 4x4 trans and t case(say fromthe 2.8 donor) and swap my bell to it, go to ruff stuff and buy some diy jeep long arms and steering and track bar componants and swap a jeep d30 or d44 into it with an eye to a turbo at some point. i could do this incrementally as time and money allowed and end up with a bad ass 4x4. trade of the donor 4x4 carcass and 2.8 truck to get the d30 and other parts...

but that is me.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
I completely agree with bobby, swap a jeep d30 under your front end and find an m5od for a 2.3 that had 4x4, and take the TCase while you're in there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals