• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

They Found "Our" Mountain Lion!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, for those of up in Minn or Wis, those were not storys or people that didn't know what they saw. Sightings started a couple of years ago in Minn and then down here to Wis. People kept saying, can't be, must be a bobcat or something. Down around Madison, WI, some small livestock got killed and a horse really injuried. The DNR from both states compared the DNA from the scat (thats poop), and found out it was the same critter. Now it was found as a road kill way out in Conn. DNA confirms that it did come all the way from the Black Hills. What a road trip!
Dave of the Nord
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/mountain-lion-killed-in-conn-had-walked-from-south-dakota/1

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Grr. I'm a vicious mountain lion. Grr.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Damn, thats a hell of a walk.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We have had them around here, the officials deny it. They also deny that we have wolves.

I personally have heard wolves at night, and I know an elderly man who saw mountain lions in the 70's and a few people who claim to have seen one a few years ago.

At least they stopped denying that we have Moose, after someone took a picture of one standing infront of a local car dealership and someone poached one upstate.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I wonder why the denial by officials? Maybe they don't want to deal with it. We get them here. About 20 years ago we found tracks from one in a field next to our house (when I lived at home still), and then someone spotted it a couple days later. It had come down from the Oquirrh Mountain, and it is rare for them to come over on this side. But, it was particularly dry that year, and I remember it being said that it was coming down for some food and water.

Now I live much closer to that mountain. The only thing I've seen (knock on wood) since living here is a deer that came through our yard, and a skunk.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's because they don't want to accept responsibility for the wolves. In truth they were transported here by the gov't to help stop a white-tail explosion. Funny how they did that instead of increase hunting. In 1992 they researched several Adirondack locations and "supposedly" nothing was ever transported to them. Personally, I don't see why they would waste money to survey and do biological studies in an area, receive positive results, and then abandon the project.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We have them around here too, it is always "somebody's pet that they turned loose" Probably about one a year, makes me wonder how many people have them as pets?

Strange why the keep denying it. :icon_confused:

As far as I know we never sell out tags for white tail, I know guys that buy 10 tags and still tag out too. I think we are at about terminal velocity for deer hunter numbers, in a rural area there are only so many people that are willing and able to hunt.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
We have 'em in Maine. They deny it. I've seen 'em. I also want to know how they explain horses being dragged off in the night if it ain't mountain lions!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We have 'em in Maine. They deny it. I've seen 'em. I also want to know how they explain horses being dragged off in the night if it ain't mountain lions!
My cousin had her mule attacked, really a fullsize horse sized creature is too much for a mountain lion. He got tore up pretty good cosmetically but made a full recovery.

They officially decided it was dogs... that only sliced up the back of the mule at night. Which is wierd because usually dogs will run something until it drops and then attack when they are too weak to fight back. With another mule and a couple horses in the same smaller pen I don't see that happening without the others chacing chipping in and chasing the dogs too.

We think the kitty did the tree attack they are known for.

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Well, a horse is large, yes, but it's an easier target than a moose, and easier to find than deer.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, a horse is large, yes, but it's an easier target than a moose, and easier to find than deer.
Not around here. :D

The economy dropped the bottom out of the horse market, and (no pun intended) you can't swing a dead cat without hitting 3 deer. No moose at all around here.

I never heard of one doing any more than tearing up a horse. Sheep, hogs, calves and deer seem to be what they are built to take. Don't really no why, but I have never heard of one messing with a cow, the herd thing must bother them.

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=288&sid=371780&pid=0

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Don't really no why, but I have never heard of one messing with a cow, the herd thing must bother them.
Especially because what I've been told is to make a lot of movement and noise (standing in place) if I encounter one. Cows just chill, LOL.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The one that cracks me up were the numerous sightings of a mountain lion
in Connecticut that state officials denied unti,l they were blue in the face
and people who were being called liars or fools were out shopping for
rope... (to lynch the state gov as$$oles) when the cougar's luck ran
out, it was hit by a car.

as it turns out this one was wearing a radio collar that had been put on
the cougar in North Dakota.

I've personally seem "kitty cat" tracks that cannot be bobcat tracks
and neither Bears nor dogs have retractable claws

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Glad we dont have them sneaking, stalking big drop cats up here. There was a couple way down in South Alaska killed 10+ years ago but no known breeding population, just a few long range loners from over Canada's way. Now wolves, linx, moose we have tons of and of course untold thousands of black, grizz, coastal brownies, kodiak and polar bear's. You pack anything less than a .44 mag up here and most times (not alway's) you may as well shoot yourself in the head than deal with whats coming at you, they eat you while you are still alive and your scream's only excite them into more savage behavior... real life monsters I reckon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals